Need help with finding correct headers

northernblu

Apr 26, 2004
BC, Canada
Ok i am asking for help with the my dilema:
here goes:
I have a 67 Fb with mustang 2 front end, 351w dart based motor, TFS high ports for heads, backed up with aod trans.
Now i had planned on using kooks headers, but they do not make an application specifically for a 67 mustang with 351w (the ones they have are for a 79 and up). Dreaming i would like a 1 3/4" stepped to 1 7/8" to a 3" collector, but 1 7/8" to a 3" collector would be ok too. I want a good set of flowing headers, not cheapies for this motor.
PLEASE if anyone has any experience whether the 79 and up will work let me know. I am concerned about clearance issues where the headers go by the tranny.
I have thought about building a set, but also VERY $$$$$$$.
Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I would suggest an independent muffler shop, not a chain, since they can pretty much adapt or modify anything to make it fit or work, call a couple local shops and see what they say, the mom and pop shops have leeway and probably the experience to do it, a guy I used for a prior 4x4 vehicle I had actually made the same exhaust for his wife when they owned the same car, so knocked my out in a couple days and was thrilled to do it, so you never know

by the way why not just go 2 inch diameter with mandrel bends

I guess what I am saying is that maybe you have entered outside of the order from the catalog zone, ie off the shelf, nothing wrong with that

I could not fit 79+ shorties to 67 body with 302 as it was hitting the lowest block/tranny mounting point. with 351w you may have problems clearing shock tower, maybe steering box, not the aod.

thanks to all that replied. i will try accufab and see what they say.
-I was staying at 1 7/8 as 2" i started to lose a little flow (venturi effect etc) as per motor manufacturer specs and racers flow bench.
-In response to the shorties, i was worried about that spot in particular. In regards to the shock towers rubbing, shouldnt be a problem as it has the mustang 2 front end and no shock towers anymore.
PLease keep the suggestions coming!

headers

You should call Stan at FPA. I live about 10 miles from his shop. My girlfriend and I just installed a MII front end in her 64 comet with a 408W. Stan let us borrow some of his headers to test fit on the car. The drivers side fit great but no go on the passenger side. The comets frame rails are 1 1/2 inches narrower then my 65 Mustang. Stan has headers that will fit your car they are built for 65-70 mustangs with MII front end and a 351w. You should be able to fit Foxbody headers also. I will be trying to install a set of Hooker foxbody 351w conversion long tube headers in the next couple of days in the Comet.

I also used the FPA long tube headers on a 408 in my 65 FB with Rod and Custom front suspension. The fit was great, but I could not use the stock clutch linkage, I switched to a hydraulic clutch, and a Quicktime bellhousing. A lakewood will work, but you would need to trim it on both sides, and that is a no no with the NHRA, (if that matters to you.)
It is nice putting in an engine with the headers bolted on!:D