Need help with front end clunking sound

JOHNP

Founding Member
May 24, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Hey everyone, I have a noise comming from the front right side of my car when I am at low speeds and go ever a sharp bump. It sounds like a clunking noise but muffled. The noise was there prior to installing B springs and tokicos. The first few days after my spring installation it was not present, but I hear it now. Any thoughts as to what to look for? Possibly steering rack or the A arm??? I think maybe it is the upper spring isolator on the front right, would that cause this noise if the spring is knocking around in there.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks ... JP

• Sponsors (?)

Ok...I have a question for you guys. If you answer yes to this question i may be able to help you out.
When you go forward and brake hard, does it pop?? after braking hard in forward, try it in reverse this time. Does it make the popping noise too? If you have no idea, go out on your driveway and try it out and report back.
I've helped a bunch of guys on stangnet with this problem.
Hope to help you in the future
*DSGT

DarkShadowGT said:
Ok...I have a question for you guys. If you answer yes to this question i may be able to help you out.
When you go forward and brake hard, does it pop?? after braking hard in forward, try it in reverse this time. Does it make the popping noise too? If you have no idea, go out on your driveway and try it out and report back.
I've helped a bunch of guys on stangnet with this problem.
Hope to help you in the future
*DSGT

No mine does not pop ... were you thinking cv joints??? If you meant something else ... mine doesn't pop anyway. It sounds kind of like something's loose when the wheel comes back down ( uncompresses the strut ) .... like comming down the back side of a speed bump is when I hear it, or when I drive over a cobblestone part of the road thaqt is continuously bumpy ... sounds like something is loose on the front right side.... :shrug: I just jacked my car up and tried to find the source, but no luck. What were you thinking???

DarkShadowGT said:
I was thinking of the k-member. For some reason, a lot of mustangs have loose k-members. you might want to look into that too if you have no luck finding anything else.
*DSGT

OK, just one thing .... where do I find the k-member? Sorry if it is a stupid question, but I am not sure where to look... thanks.

Well I got under the car and tightened eerything I could get my hands on ... .still making the noise but not as bad. I seriously think it might be the spring, but I am not going to bo able to get to it for a wihle so I guess I will just have to crank the stereo up louder so I don't hear it. Thanks for all of the suggestions guys!!!

I thought this identical noise problem was from the solid metal bearing my Steeda caster camber plates. I called them today & they weren't much help. "Take your car to a qualified performance alignment shop...." Thanks for your help & no thanks for any future business.

Because our cars have so many things that can make noise I suggest that you look into the following 2 items:

1) Windshield fluid resevoir. Located in the driver's side wheelwell. This rocks back and forth on 1 main bolt. Move the flap out of the way just enough to stuff foam or something similar against one side to brace it.

2) Black resevoir located on passenger side firewall. Check to see if it bounces vertically (shake it up & down). This is attached by a metal strap which tends to losen up. Adjust strap and if necessary prevent it from shaking. This will make noise if you don't correct!!!!!

Good luck guys.

Dave