Need Help With Keyless Entry

Gdude

Sep 18, 2017
I have three Fords and I know and understand how to program the key fobs. No biggy there, my problem is with the granddaughters 2000 coupe. Her fob quit working so she switched to another fob and it worked for awhile but has stopped working. I followed the programming instructions and the locks did not activate like they usually do. Nothing at all. My first inclination is to look for a blown fuse in the circuit. It is fuse #19 and all the other things connected to that fuse work, I didn't have time to put the meter to it but assume it is good.

I will not have the car here to test until Friday, but If the fuse is good, where do I go next. I will need to find the module and pull the connector and clean it, reinstall the cable and test again. I have read that the module is located in the trunk on the drivers side on the support for the trunk hinge. Is this accurate?

Due to the outrageous cost of the modules, I don't want to just go buy a new one. I would, however, like to know the location of the module and the part number so I can find a source for another module if needed. Any help will be truly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

So, call me crazy, and I'm sure you've done your due diligence up to this point...but I'll ask anyway. Forgive me! :)

Have you checked the remote itself?

I only ask because something similar just happened with my 2003 Explorer. I have a remote/fob that I regularly use and when I first bought the Explorer (nearly 2 years ago) the fob worked marvelously. As time went on, it was getting intermittent but still worked a majority of the time. Then more recently, like about the past 6 months, it started getting to the point where I'd have to press the button several times before the lock would respond. Then late last week, it just seemed to quit working altogether at one point. Thinking it was the fob's battery, I cracked it open and had a look...I noticed that the little contacts that touch the battery were nearly flat up against the circuit board. I bent them downwards a bit in the hopes that they'd make better contact with the battery and sure enough, that did the trick. Now my remote is back to working 100%.

Like I stated, I'm sure you've checked all the little things out, but worth a shot anyway. Beyond that, I can't help with the larger diagnosis...sorry!

I have read that the module is located in the trunk on the drivers side on the support for the trunk hinge. Is this accurate
Here's one of those cases where the model year of the car in question is really important. For the 1999+ model year the remote keyless entry is part of the Generic Electronic Module (GEM).

Per my Ford Service manual:

C352
Below left side of instrument panel

If a replacement is needed, try searching car-part.com.