NEED HELP WITH LIGHT PROBLEMS ON A 95 MUSTANG PLEASE!

draggintail

Mar 9, 2013
Hi All, My son and I are on working on a V6, 95 Mustang. He had ordered after market tail lights for it and they were garbage so we found a set of 94 tail lights at a U Pull-it here with the 3 lenses. On the 95 the outside plug was just for running lights but it didn't look right with the 3 lenses to not have all 3 lights working with the turn signals, flashers and brake lights. We cut the light sockets from the 94 and I cut the small bulb socket out of the original wiring and installed the larger socket so all 3 lights worked for everything. I wired all the tail lights up after tracing everything, and all was well. All of a sudden smoke blew out of the steering column by the multi-function switch. I pulled everything down to the bare steering column and pulled the switch out. I got continuity on some of the pins and none on others following the pin configuration in the Hayes Repair Manual. Also the key switch we already knew was bad so I replaced the key switch while I had it all apart. I pulled the plugs on the ignition switch and tested for continuity according to the book and had no continuity on the pin-out in the off and lock positions. We ended up replacing the key switch, multi-function switch and the ignition switch. I forgot to mention that the former owners had jury rigged wiring under the dash, with multiple butt connectors because they had added on removed multiple electronics to the car. I put everything in but didn't put any of the dash back together just in case I had a problem. I'm glad I did that because NOW I have ANOTHER problem. We started the car up and all was good but when I went around back all the lights were flashing. My son said he couldn't get the lights to stop flashing. I looked on the dash and only the left arrow was flashing with the switch in neutral. A pin, the #1 pin had pushed out when I plugged in the connector. I finally got the pin in but I can't figure out why all the lights are flashing including the halo's in the new headlights we installed. Does anyone have any idea's on what it might it be?? What could I have done wrong? Did I miss something in reinstalling everything. I checked all the connections and everything is right that I can see. Would it be possible for a bad ground to cause this? Could it be the connector? I really don't want to have to replace the connector because there is absolutely no room to cut and reconnect the wires running through the top of the steering column. I would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks everyone in advance for your help. `

• Sponsors (?)