Need help with my 1969 oil dipstick

I have a 1969 base 302 car. So I am trying to get my motor looking closer to stock. It has Edelbrock e-street heads and tall valve covers. Other than that, its looking more stock than when I first bought it (all cheap chrome). I've hit a wall with the location of the coil and oil dipstick tube.

Right now I believe I have a 1968 dipstick tube on the car. Also notice that the coil bracket is mounted to the thermostat housing and requires an improvised backwards bend so it clears the dipstick tube.

From pictures of 1969 302 that I can find, I see the dipstick tube to the left of the coil and I assume both (coil and dipstick tube) share the same threaded hole on the passenger side head. Obviously I would need pieces for that so I shopped around and could not find the dipstick tube at the usual vendors. I did find, and bought, one off of EBAY but I think I made a mistake. This tube is much longer than my current tube. I did try to install it and it was extremely tight in the seat - needed massaging - although it did line up with the existing mounting hole on the head. Like an idiot, it was this point that realized that I would need a longer dipstick.......which I don't see anywhere. Furthermore, the new coil bracket (supposedly for 1969) will not work with this configuration.

What am I doing wrong?

Did 1969 base 302 have the coil on the passenger head and did the dip locate to the left of that? The purchased oil dipstick tube part number is C9OZ-6754-B. While the ad said "302/351", I'm thinking that this is strictly for the 351 with the higher heads.

Can someone guide me on what the proper setup is for the 302? Are tubes and coil brackets still available? below are pics of my current setup as well as the new uninstalled dipstick tube and coil bracket.

Attachments

• IMG_3745.jpg
    IMG_3745.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_3747.jpg
    IMG_3747.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_3748.jpg
    IMG_3748.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_3750.jpg
    IMG_3750.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_3751.jpg
    IMG_3751.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_3752.jpg
    IMG_3752.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_3753.jpg
    IMG_3753.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 279
  • Sponsors (?)

I’ve always seen the coil on the driver side. The dipstick tube should have a bolt hole at the front of the head. I’m going off the 302 I have in my 65. I can take pics for you.
Thanks for your reply! I agree with your observation but I've seen the coils literally all over the motor - maybe depending on AC or no AC? Emissions controls? Boss? Different years? I even went through ads for used '69 mustangs and studied pictures of cars that I thought represented mostly stock and still couldn't come up with any consensus. Then when looking at the usual vendor's sites, I get even more confused because I don't think there is much in the way of reproduction tubes even available for the '69.

Back to your observation: Putting the coil on the drivers side would probably make me the happiest but then I have to do some bending of the fuel line - which isn't stock because my quick fuel carb has the inlet on the passenger side. Can of worms.

When I first got the car, the coil was on the passenger side, sharing the same boss on the head as the dipstick tube. The tube was to the left of the coil. This setup will work great but I stupidly broke the tube when the motor was out. The only replacement that I could find on CJ Pony was a 1968 tube which is all wrong for this configuration.....and that is what is in my pictures.

I should be getting a 1967 tube delivered tomorrow. Although it is for 289, I"m hoping the boss location on the heads are similar to the 302. This looks like it could get me back to my original setup, which is fine, and which is my guess at how the '69 cars with AC were setup.

These little things drive me nuts...... I need to get to a Mustang car show soon to figure some things out.

I found this picture of my motor before I pulled it. I guess I was wrong about the dipstick location because as you can see it is somehow behind and to the right of the coil, but I still recall that it shared the same mounting spot.

photo of coil and dipstick.JPG

Thanks for your reply! I agree with your observation but I've seen the coils literally all over the motor - maybe depending on AC or no AC? Emissions controls? Boss? Different years? I even went through ads for used '69 mustangs and studied pictures of cars that I thought represented mostly stock and still couldn't come up with any consensus. Then when looking at the usual vendor's sites, I get even more confused because I don't think there is much in the way of reproduction tubes even available for the '69.

Back to your observation: Putting the coil on the drivers side would probably make me the happiest but then I have to do some bending of the fuel line - which isn't stock because my quick fuel carb has the inlet on the passenger side. Can of worms.

When I first got the car, the coil was on the passenger side, sharing the same boss on the head as the dipstick tube. The tube was to the left of the coil. This setup will work great but I stupidly broke the tube when the motor was out. The only replacement that I could find on CJ Pony was a 1968 tube which is all wrong for this configuration.....and that is what is in my pictures.

I should be getting a 1967 tube delivered tomorrow. Although it is for 289, I"m hoping the boss location on the heads are similar to the 302. This looks like it could get me back to my original setup, which is fine, and which is my guess at how the '69 cars with AC were setup.

These little things drive me nuts...... I need to get to a Mustang car show soon to figure some things out.
289 and 302 are basically the same. Some 68 289 are actually 302 blocks. Internals from a 289 will fit in a 302 block but a 302 internals will not work in a 289. The cylinder bore is longer in the 302 block for the longer stroke. I have a dipstick tube for a 68 In my 65 and it was identical to the 70 that was in my brother’s mustang.

Success! I had To grind a little metal off the new tube To fit my timing cover - always perplexed me why different tubes had different diameters. Anyhow, after an hour of fitting I think I got what I wanted. Thanks for you input!

Attachments

• 3F52FCCC-55F1-468F-A984-D05F75E25F69.jpeg
    3F52FCCC-55F1-468F-A984-D05F75E25F69.jpeg
    430.1 KB · Views: 733
  • 5F16778C-E658-4BD4-ADE2-DB8C225A5B89.jpeg
    5F16778C-E658-4BD4-ADE2-DB8C225A5B89.jpeg
    439.2 KB · Views: 244
Reactions: 1 user