Need Help with picking out Exhaust..

05GTDAVE

Dec 16, 2004
hey whats up !! Im looking at getting A new exhaust for my 05 gt mustang .... Anyone know of a good brand and how much they running for ?? Im getting a free air intake from K&N engineering factory.. so i cant wait too see how it will sound with both of these in the car .. Thanks in advance ..

• Sponsors(?)

05mealready

Sep 13, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Magnaflo seems to be pretty popular. But I am with you, I know little about them. Back in the day, it was hooker headers and cherry bomb mufflers. Ah, the good ole days.

subzero05

Dec 21, 2004
Magnaflow and bassani generally have good stuff.You can't really go wrong with either, but I wouold expect the Bassani system will be considerably higher in price.

thunderstorm144

Nov 24, 2004
Alabama
Just installed today

Just had the magnaflow cat back installed today. I love it. Sounds great. It has a deep resonance. Bit of a gurgle. Not much louder than the stock. Good looking tips.

I have a wave file but cannot attach here.
:notnice:

Attachments

coupe302

Nov 23, 2004
OLD DOMINION
I have been trying to decide on the right exhaust as well. I think I may go with the Bassani or the new JBA system. Magnaflow sounds great, but I want something louder similar to that Flowmaster sound. Hopefully flowmaster will come out with a kit soon.

tylers65

I've got your tool right here!
Jan 7, 2001
Tacoma, WA
My local shop built cat backs for my LS (same set up as Mustang) for $240 out the door.

Stainless tips and all with Magnaflo Mufflers.

Try a local shop first

05GTDAVE

Dec 16, 2004
thanks for the info .. im looking for a deep but kinda loud sound exhaust .. and sinnce im new to the mustang world .. im use to motorcycle exhaust which some are pretty loud .. but ill shop around and see what the local shops have ..

Thorns Of Agony

Dec 19, 2004
What does everyone think about the Billy Boat exhaust? From the clip on their website, it sounds pretty quiet, in my opinion.

What would be one of the loudest catbacks out there, Bassani?

Does anyone have any sound/video clips besides the Magnaflow and Billy Boat?

Thanks

Edit: I just listened to the JBA exhaust. It sounds really nice :D

dhof303

I went with the JBA axle back kit, can be ordered from www.LMPerformance.com for $329.00 plus $20.00 for shipping. Original price for these is $425.00. They sound great, no performance gains wil be had from any cat back system as we have found out on a dyno. I will be putting on JBA full length headers and h-pipe in 2 weeks. JBA axle back system is pretty loud, loud enough to set off alarms in a parking garage! WOT is awesome though, everyone is talking about my wife's car in town. :rlaugh:

GNN60GT500

Founding Member
I have seen gains with Magnaflow on the dyno.

Also two members here have dynoed and one got 5 rwhp, and the other got 12 rwhp......

Borla and Bassani are also showing gains as well......

It just seems to be the chambered mufflers that are not gaining or in some cases loosing hp-

The converters are actually not that restrictive on this car........

The stock mufflers flow a lot better though, so in relation on a percentage scale they are more restrictive.....however comparing to a 99-04 converter, they are not any more restrictive.........

If gaining hp is a concern to you, you definitely only want to use something with a straight through design though....

ttown

Founding Member
May 30, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
I hope your going for sound because that's all you'll get. This car already has a high flow 2 1/2 inch exhaust, one of the reasons they are putting out the HP they do. The Mach with a full exhaust is lucky to get 15-20RWHP and the GT will be FAR less if any. Spend your money on real HP mods IMO this is a big waste but if your wanting to hear you coming I guess it's a OK mod.

BTW a tune will bring much more RWHP than any exhaust. These cars are running rich and I'd like to see the before and after dynos because they are probally leaning the cars out a little to achive a HP gain. A 13:1 ratio is what your after with your car.

thunderstorm144

Nov 24, 2004
Alabama
ttown said:
I hope your going for sound because that's all you'll get. This car already has a high flow 2 1/2 inch exhaust, one of the reasons they are putting out the HP they do. The Mach with a full exhaust is lucky to get 15-20RWHP and the GT will be FAR less if any. Spend your money on real HP mods IMO this is a big waste but if your wanting to hear you coming I guess it's a OK mod.

BTW a tune will bring much more RWHP than any exhaust. These cars are running rich and I'd like to see the before and after dynos because they are probally leaning the cars out a little to achive a HP gain. A 13:1 ratio is what your after with your car.
Have you seen some threads or had experience with people leaning them out? You said they are running rich and I was wondering where you got that information. (not flaming ya, I am just curious because I am looking at a tune as well but it's a toss up!) I agree with you on the cat backs. Nominal HP gain. 5-10 rwhp.

h0tr0d

May 21, 2004
San Diego
Changing the exhaust system on the 05 Mustang is going to be a decision based on sound preference and looks. 0-5 hp is typicall for most cat-backs (chambered or not) on these cars and that can vary depending on the time of day the car was on the dyno. Given the simple design of the exhaust system it would be easy to test all them in a shoot out in a couple hours.

txwolfy

Oct 11, 2004
90 miles north of London, England
I love the car, but wish it was a bit more throaty. Not concerned with hp increase - wondering if exhaust cut-outs with a very thin washer in place would sound nice? Did this in high school with my '65 GTO and enjoyed the sound. OK, OK - I'm dating myself! Any thoughts on cut-outs?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Blueharry Need Help picking a New springs and shock! 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 0
Rynb15 Picked up an 85gt, need help with year of motor in car/firing order 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 4
Bion1985 SN95 Need Help Picking Wheel Spacer Size 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 2
At1Maverick69 Need help picking Special Production 2
TwoToneHatch Need Help Picking Out Springs! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
M Need help picking a clutch Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
MY 85 GT Need help picking an amp? Mustang Sound & Shine All 6
CrawlinSlo5.0 Need help picking a carb! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
P Need Help Picking Long Block Classic Mustang Specific Tech 16
89hatchlx Need help with picking aluminum or steel?? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 16
B Need help picking out hood 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 35
glowstang93 Need help picking plates for DD 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 5
StreetDreamsGT Need help picking cylinder heads, can't find MM&FF comparison I searched Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 18
T need some help picking valve covers 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 0
GTA_V6_Mustang Need help on picking a cam 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 18
howiefisher BUYING ROCKER ARMS NEED HELP PICKING 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 10
LaserSVT Need help in picking shocks 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 8
S i need help picking a cam!!!! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 11
Y need help picking a mustang 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 14
Pliskin Need Help Picking! 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 23
D need help picking out C4 tranny Classic Mustang Specific Tech 26
L need help picking out springs Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 26
LS-what? Need help picking right tires 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 12
chucks1967 need help picking a carb and intake combo 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 3
yellowstang1994 Need help picking out Saleen wheels! 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 8
B Need help picking tranny fluids SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 14
C Really need help picking U/L Control arms! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
F Need help picking a computer reprogrammer SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
TheFleshRocket Just bought an S-Trim--need help picking out supporting hardware. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 24
Finn McCool I need help picking my '06 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 15
J Need help picking out the best subframe connectors SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 8
Kurt2002 Need Help Picking Mods SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 9
D Need help picking wheels and slicks SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
5LugFoxFanatic Need help picking which engine to put into my 86.... Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
M Need help picking out an alternator. Classic Mustang Specific Tech 5
A need help picking a midpipe SVT Tech Forum 6
nmcgrawj Need help picking a front bumper... 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 19
L Need some help on picking 4.6 or the 5.0 Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
J Crew Need help picking out 2 race seats! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
9 need help picking donor car 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech 9
T Need help picking a new tranny..how's the Super Duty World Class t5? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 24
dderek Help me pick some nice valve covers! need help with clearance etc. show me yours :) Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 19
Mike86Stang Need help picking a good OTS cam.. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 13
R need help on picking a torque converter... Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
CraigThaCrab Need help Picking Tires! SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
Z Need help picking out cam for 94 cobra(HELP) 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 3
7991LXnSHO VW OBD2 help needed. Other Auto Tech 0
8 Engine Need help Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
B Engine 1990 5.0L Fox high rpm cutout and loud backfire - Need Help Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9
silverlx50 Engine Bringing Charcoal Canister Back, Need Help Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4