Need Help with powersteering!

redmenace66

May 31, 2005
My 68 has gone through 2 sets of power steering hoses in less than a year. I have tri-y headers so i have the lowering bracket installed for the powersteering piston. The first set of hoses melted on the headers and caused a fire. The second I tried using bailing wire to take the slack out and away from the headers but doing so left the hose too close to a sharp corner on the motor mount which eventually rubbed a hole in the hose. So if anyone has any ideas on how to rig something up please let me know. I dunno if it matters or not but Its the stock pump also.

thanks a ton!
Scott B.

p.s. I already prayed to the all mighty mustang god and called a priest to perform an exorcism yet neither worked.

• Sponsors (?)

Ill look into it but I think my problem is that the hoses are too long. Have you heard anything about steel braided hoses? I've seen fuel lines and brake lines and im wondering if anyone has used it on power steering?

I have the same set up as you - '68 coupe with Tri Y headers. You have a couple of options:

1. Get the Big Block hoses and route them underneath instead of over the headers

2. Get a GM style alternator bracket at your local parts store for about $12. Bend it at a 90* angle from the straight side, about 4 or 5 inches from the end so that if the bend is facing down, the curved part goes away from the motor. Mount to your motor mount bolt and it will keep the hoses off of the header. I did this 2 years ago and have not cooked any hoses since!