need help with putting in new gears and rebuilding traklock

PeteyAce

Jul 2, 2004
rear.jpg

i just got the rebuild kit today but im gunna start this next weekend. how long of a job would this be in a garage and does anyone know or can show me where all this friggin bearings go??!

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Sponsors (?)

If you don't have the tools and dial indicators required to install gears then you're biting off WAY more than you can chew. It's not a "slap together" project.

Daggar said:
If you don't have the tools and dial indicators required to install gears then you're biting off WAY more than you can chew. It's not a "slap together" project.
Agreed, you mess up one little thing in the rear, and it will basically eat itself over time.
Just the fact that you are asking for help suggests that this is not the project for you.
Even some seasoned professionals still have rear end experts put their rears together, so don't feel inadequate, because i bet 95% of this forum payed someone to do it, and rightfully so.

how much did all you pay? Im bout to pay $240 labor to put in my 3.73s. I know a guy that will do it for $150 but he cant do it until around the weekend of the 30th. and then i leave for boot camp a week after that, so i think its worth it to pay $90 more.

well my uncle is helping me with this he is a mechanic, he has done this before but its been a while for him so he needs a little refrshment of memory. he is gunna pick up the dial indicator and other stuff

Since you have someone who has done it before this should be a great learning experience for you. If you are confident in him then I say go for it. If you haven't looked at the link I put up I would read through it. That has to be the most comprehensive website on gears that I have ever seen. Good luck and what ratio are you going with?