>>>Need Help With Spraying my Stang<<<

STANG2DIE42003

Apr 1, 2003
Brooklyn
Hi all I would like to take the paint off my car and prime the car down I would like to know how I can take the paint off the car and what kind of products do I have to use so that the car wount get any rust on it or do I just put the prime on it and thats it also what Kind of sand paper do I use to sand the car down? I would like to take the paint of the side skirt kit to but its rubber and I dont want to get somthing thats going to damage it can anyone help me? give me some tip if you ever done this befor thank you

• Sponsors (?)

What year stang do you have? From your SN i assume it's a 2003 but i've been foold before. Can you answer these questions for me:

Why do you want to strip off your paint?

Do you want to go to bare metal/gell coat or just want to paint the car another color?

Is it original factory paint?

Does the paint have bubling, cracks, "spider webs", or fisheyes in it?

Is the current paint job oxidized?

Do you want to go from a dark paint color (i.e. black) to a lighter paint color (i.e. white/yellow)?

Do you have any other fiberglass body kit or pieces outside factory stuff? (BTW the bumper covers and the sides skirts, along with the side scoops i believe are all plastic not rubber)

What tools do you have? (i.e. long boards, D/a Sanders, Respirator)

How much time do you have?

Do you have a place the store the car while you work?

Do you have an alternate car to use while you work on car to be painted?

Are your arms buff? ;) (you'll understand this q after hours of block sanding)

There are tons more questions, but the ones above are the main ones. Answer them and I'll post recoomendations.

BTW here's a link to a quick update on my 65 coupe that includes a lil bit about paint stripping:

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=397344

Here's a quick write-up of mine on my website about paint stripping:
http://www.desertmustangs.com/1972coupe/Paint_stripping/Paint_stripping.htm

And here's the finished product of mine after stripping everything to bare metal and doing all the body work/paint myself in my backyard:

Img_1509.jpg

>>> Help sprying my 89 mustang<<<

Hello first I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to write to me and for welling to help me. The car is a 1989 Mustang LX that I’m looking to convert to a GT / Cobra. I’m only 21 yrs. Of age with a 3 year old son and a 19 year old wife we will be moving to FL now in the end of Dec. So I have to stop the project for now tell we get up on our feet, but I at less would like to fix the body of the car up a little. I have the side skirts and the bumper also that I want to put on but I have to sand down the side skirts the bumpers are brand new and already primed so I don’t have to touch that. If you would like me to send you pic.s of my car I can take some for you maybe you can help me a bit more if you see what it looks like my e-mail is [email protected] if you want to e-mail me. Well here are the answer to the question you send me once again thank you so much for answering me.

Why do you want to strip off your paint? Well I just got the car the end of the summer its kind of a project car it was hit very light on the driver quarter panel its not big at all but I will like to fix it and sand down the car I really just want to prime the car down and leave it like that tell I send to paint it one day.

Do you want to go to bare metal/gell coat or just want to paint the car another color? Well I really don’t know if I should sand it down to the metal I kind of wanted to but I’m scared of parts rusting on the car.

Is it original factory paint? Yes it’s the originals factory paint.

Does the paint have bubling, cracks, "spider webs", or fisheyes in it? Ummm I really don’t know if the car has any of those things I’m pretty sure it dose its an 89 mustang but its in very good shape for the year.

Is the current paint job oxidized? No its not the only thing that I really can say is wrong with the body it that peace that was hit.

Do you want to go from a dark paint color (i.e. black) to a lighter paint color (i.e. white/yellow)? I don’t thing I will be painting the car myself I just want to fix any dents and prime the complete car.

Do you have any other fiberglass body kit or pieces outside factory stuff? (BTW the bumper covers and the sides skirts, along with the side scoops i believe are all plastic not rubber) The car is completely stock right now the only things on the car that I thing are plastic it’s the side skirts and the bumpers

What tools do you have? (i.e. long boards, D/a Sanders, Respirator) Wow I really don’t have anything to paint I was thinking of going down to sears get some simple tool a compressor, paint gun, lines, ummm I don’t know what else I would need besides the primer & sand papers I don’t know what kind of sand paper to use for the side skirts that are plastic and for the body of the car.

How much time do you have? Well I work a 9 to 5 job I have Sat. To work on the car and sun.

Do you have a place the store the car while you work? Yes I do have a place to store the car But the car will be driven from home to work everyday tell I can get another car.

Do you have an alternate car to use while you work on car to be painted? No I don’t have an alternate car. =0(