Need help with throtle body, NOW!

schoonover_88

Jan 1, 2004
I am takeing off my intake, and can't seem to get the damn throtle body off. I was able to take out one entire screw-like thing succecfully, but on the others the nut just came off! The TB is still very much attached to the intake, so it seems. Please, need help now!

• Sponsors (?)

Use a rubber mallet to break the tb loose...after you remove all four nuts. It'll be stuck. You want to leave the studs in the upper intake..just remove the nuts. If they are siezed, double nut the stud and remove the nuts. Put stud back in.

You don't need to remove the tb to take the upper intake off.

schoonover_88 said:
Thanks a million for the info! The reason that I wanted to take the TB off is that I didn't want to mess with all the complicated looking sensors and throtle cables. Thanks again!

Disconnecting the sensors & cables is very simple, easier than taking off the TB (throttle body). One connector for the EGR, one connector for the TPS, one vacuum line for the EGR. The sensor connectors are different shapes and can't be mixed up and go back wrong. The throttle cables snap off with a pry from a screwdriver, and pop back on with a heathly push. Two bolts secure the throttle cable mount to the TB. One hose from the valve cover filler gets removed from the TB.

Clean all the surfaces of the TB & EGR adaper throughly, do not leave any gasket residue. Failre to clean everything properly will mean vacuum or water leaks into the intake. There are 2 gaskets, one for the throttle body and one for the EGR adapter.

After spending an hour or so scraping and cleaning the TB & EGR mating surfaces plus struggling to get the TB off the manifold, I'm sure that you will opt for simply disconnecting things next time. And I can assure you, that as long as you own the stang, there will be a next time.

Besides you should be familiar to your car as possible I replaced the upper and lower manifold and I thought it would be hard as hell with all that shiiiiiiiiiit besides once you do it, it's like riding abike you never forget and yes you can not mix up the part's :nice:

I was skerred at first too. I thought I'd miss a vac hose or a connection. It wasnt too bad once I got my hands in there and actually did it though. It looks more intimidating than it actually is.