need help

rich1223

Founding Member
Jul 6, 2001
NYC
I am getting new gears installed in the morning on mt 95 GT 5 speed and i still havent made up my mind on 3.55's or 373's i was leaning towards 3.73's but recently was starting to think 3.55's would be a better choice since i do about half my driving on the highway!thanx

• Sponsors (?)

On my T-5 with 3.73s 80mph is at 3000rpm. Even with the blower I get 22-24mpg on the highway with them. 3.55s will be a little lower, maybe 2800rpm at 80mph and will get you maybe 1mpg more. The difference between the two is maybe a tenth in the quarte mile. So, is the extra couple hundred rpm and 1mpg worth the loss of maybe a tenth in quarter mile? It depends on what you really honestly use your car for. If it is a commuter mostly, then the 3.55s might be better. If it is a street strip car, go with the 3.73s. If it is mostly a track car go with 4.10s.

My car is mostly a street car and will see the strip every now and then and I just got 3.73's put in instead of the stock 2.73's and the feeling was great. 3.73 arent bad for around town driving either but havent been on the highway yet.

I am interested on changing gear. Do you guys know what stock gear ratio comes with 95 GT. I have heard from some past chat that it's not worth to switch from 3:27 (if its the stock size) to 3:55 or 3:73. Is this true?

i just changed to 3:55 and definitely feel the difference. the only problem is at 70-75 it lands me right at 2300-2500 (drone zone). wish i had gone with the 3:73's to get me up over the zone and into more peaceful hwy driving.

in 4th at 70 i'm at 3000+... nice and smooth.

aaamoranto said:
I am interested on changing gear. Do you guys know what stock gear ratio comes with 95 GT. I have heard from some past chat that it's not worth to switch from 3:27 (if its the stock size) to 3:55 or 3:73. Is this true?
Are you use your car has 3.27's in it? I've heard about 2.73's in the GT 5spds and 3.08's in the automatics... or was the 3.08's in the Cobras? If your not sure check on your differential cover, there should be a little plate held on by one of the bolts that will tell you what gear ratio your rearend has in it.

Ok i just got back from the shop!Before i got there i was leaning towards 3.55's but the owner talked me into the the 3.73's!Wow what a differance from the original weak azz 2.73's it finally feels like a 5.0 my only concern is 1st gear is almost useless and on the highway at 80 it's about 2900 to 3000 rpm is it just me or is this a little steep?Oh well maybe i just have to get used to them!Anyway please tell me i made the right choice since now iam starting to think 3.55's would have been better!

1st gear isnt useless... Its good for leaving nice little patches on the road whenever you want too plus you'll get a better launch at the track. I still havent had a chance to test mine out because once I got them broken in, the roads have been wet :(

aaamoranto said:
Your car came with either 273's or 308's check the sticker on the inside of the drvers side door where it says axle code it will be either M or Z M=273's and Z=308's!If the sticker is gone thee is a metal plate on your rear stamped M or Z!

1105 said:
1st gear isnt useless... Its good for leaving nice little patches on the road whenever you want too plus you'll get a better launch at the track. I still havent had a chance to test mine out because once I got them broken in, the roads have been wet :(
How long should i break them in before i start to get on them?

In my thread, someone said to drive around for 50 miles, no greater than 50mph then they will be broken in... but that only applies if you got your t-lok rebuilt to give the friction modifier time to setup and work properly. If you didnt get the t-lok rebuilt, then you should be good to go as long as the gears got installed correctly.

1105 said:
In my thread, someone said to drive around for 50 miles, no greater than 50mph then they will be broken in... but that only applies if you got your t-lok rebuilt to give the friction modifier time to setup and work properly. If you didnt get the t-lok rebuilt, then you should be good to go as long as the gears got installed correctly.
Well i drove home on the highway at about a average speed of 70 to 80 mph and when i got off i did get on them alittle bit not much.My t-lok wasn't rebuilt but a new friction modifier was installed so i hope everything will be ok!