need help

95mustang_gt

Mar 30, 2005
Wisconsin
well yesterday i took my car to the track for the first time and i was running 17s i couldnt believe it :( .i have a 95 gt convertible and its auto.i also have mac LT headers,mac ORH,magnaflow magnapack mufflers,K N air filter.my best was 17.00 @80mph.what could be the problem.any help will be very helpful.thanks for anyone that helps me out.

• Sponsors (?)

Well auto's are slower, but not that much. I ran a 16.5 the first time I went to the track, so don't feel bad.

First, what RPM is your trans shifting in each gear? Have you done a tune-up lately? Checked fuel pressure & vacuum. Cleaned your MAF/IAT sensors?
Scott

I agree with the guys who are saying MAF. Mine was bad on my 95 GT when I bought it, and as slow as it was, I doubt it would run any better than mid 16s! Check both your MAF and your 02 sensors. I replaced both 02 sensors and my MAF when I was having lack of power problems, and the car felt so, so much better afterwards.

If you haven't given your car a FULL tune up, it's time to do that also. It's silly to race an out of tune car. And by a full tune up I mean:

1. Oil change.
2. Coolant change/radiator flush.
3. Transmission fluid change.
4. Fuel filter change.
5. Air filter change.
6. Differential fluid change.
7. New spark plugs and wires.
8. New distributor cap and rotor.

I got a full tune-up last month. The maf and 02 sensors have not been replace yet. How much would both of them be? Which one brand should I go with.Is the maf hard to install?

I have a other Question. Can I launch with a automatic and if I can what rpms should I try it at.
still learning about everything, so sorry if that’s a dumb question

95mustang_gt said:
I got a full tune-up last month. The maf and 02 sensors have not been replace yet. How much would both of them be? Which one brand should I go with.Is the maf hard to install?

I have a other Question. Can I launch with a automatic and if I can what rpms should I try it at.
still learning about everything, so sorry if that’s a dumb question

You don't need another mass air unless you want to upgrade it. Spray some electronic contact cleaner on the actual sensor and that will clean it.

wytstang said:
You should be in the 14's.

I don't know that I completely agree with the 14's. I was at the track friday with my stock (for all intensive purposes) '94 GT and got a best of a 15.1 sec. run.

As far as your launching question. I hope you aren't planning on reving it and dropping it into "D" 'cause your tranny will hate you. If the AOD is completely stock, I'd launch by having it in "Drive" with my left foot on the brake and my right on the gas reving to 1200-1500 RPM, then release the brake on the last yellow. This will preload your drivetrain (which is far better than shocking it, but I won't go explaining impulse forces) and as long as you have traction you will launch harder.

If you want to keep the car an auto, you can get an aftermarket torque converter from B&M or TCI and then rev it to 2000 RPM or so for the launch.