Need recommendations for a new clutch. Many ?'s

Basically, I am wondering if I should get a stock replacement or an aftermarket performance clutch. My car has about 250-275 rwhp, so obviously I am leaning heavily towards a performance clutch, but I have some questions... How much power is the stock replacement clutch rated at? How much $ is a stock replacement clutch and how much is a performance clutch that would hold the power I have? I'm guessing I would only need a slight upgrade from stock, but then again down the road I might want to add more power...What would be the best thing for me to do?

I was also wondering what is a good place to get a clutch online? What is the best brand of aftermarket clutch in terms of reliability and performance? And finally, how much $ would be reasonably for a mechanic to charge for a clutch install? Thanks for your time and sorry for all the ?s...

• Sponsors (?)

My buddy has a Ram clutch in his hatch....it's super easy to push in and grabs really hard. He's got an adjustable cable and a firewall adjuster and it's a nice setup. I'm not sure on price though. I've got a King Cobra in mine, it's a little hard to push in but i beat the crap out of it for 3 years now and it's not slipping yet.

As said, the king cobra is a great clutch and its a great price. Fits the bill quite nicely for your car and leaves room to grow. Definately the route I would, and did, take.

Right now I run the HD Ram cutch with my set-up. By far the lightest pedal I have ever got out of any clutch. The downside is that it was about $350. I have had the KC clutch without any complaints.

88SaleenClone said:
What would be a good place to get a King Cobra or CenterForce DF complete kits?
I just got a KC from Summit. I also got their clutch quadrant kit (cable, release fork,firewall adjuster and aluminum quadrant) Works great, highly recommended.

I have a king cobra, its a nice clutch, grabs nicley, never tried any other ones, its not a whole lot stiffer then stock, i could bearly tell the diffrence after it was installed. But ive had it on for almost a year now, and its really not a problem unless sometimes my foot is sore, or i have some pains on the sole of my foot and ill be like argghh what a pain, youll end up using some leg muscle instead of your foot.

I have absolutely NO complaints about my Spec Stage 1 clutch. It grabs and doesn't let go.

It IS a little on the stiff side, but thats how I like my clutchs. I can't stand driving hydrolic clutch cars where I have a hard time telling if the clutch is engaged or not.

For your HP rating, stay away from the real heavy duty clutches. IE: Spec stage 2 and 3 and etc.

i've got the centerforce d/f setup.get that and the fms adjustable clutch cable kit and you'll be set.i had the bbk cable setup and blamed the clutch for being too stiff but i switched to the fms setup and now it has a nice easy clutch.i've ran 8.32 on slicks so far and the clutch feels great so far.

I would go with the KC clutch. I had one in a '90 LX with '94 cobra motor, E303 cam, etc. It worked great, didn't slip, and I seem to remember the pedal feel being ok for a daily driver.

I have a Ram Powergrip in my '66, it has light pedal pressure and holds strong. My only complaint is when it gets warm from normal driving, it starts to chatter. Ram says they do that, so I guess it's to be expected, but I wouldn't recommend the Powergrip for a daily driver. It gets really annoying in stop and go traffic.

I had a SC dual friction in my '66 before the Ram. I shifted hard from 1-2, then let off, put it in 3rd and let the clutch out nicely, and ripped all the friction material off one side of the clutch disc. That was the last SC clutch I've ever used. To be fair, the clutch was installed by a friend, so I can't swear he didn't screw anything up. It worked fine for a couple thousand miles of somewhat hard driving before it went out. Lots of people on here seem to have good luck with SC.

I'd just go with the King Cobra.

Jeff

mob said:
I have a king cobra, its a nice clutch, grabs nicley, never tried any other ones, its not a whole lot stiffer then stock, i could bearly tell the diffrence after it was installed. But ive had it on for almost a year now, and its really not a problem unless sometimes my foot is sore, or i have some pains on the sole of my foot and ill be like argghh what a pain, youll end up using some leg muscle instead of your foot.

well if you consider the king cobra not much stiffer than stock, then i'll say the centerforce df is half the stiffness of stock.

king cobra vs. centerfoce df is night and day