Need Some Advise Issue After Issue With Mustang

Cindy Mansu

Jun 18, 2012
Stockton
I just bought this 1996 Mustang Gt Convertible from my In Laws who always garaged the car and i thought took pretty good care of it. After I bought it, it needed tires, radiator flush, replaced thermostat, then needed a tune up as it was running pretty :poo:ty, then the brakes went out, had brakes, rotors and master cylinder replaced. Then this last friday the Serpentine belt blew off into a million parts, and had it towed and fixed. Today i go to the bank and when i get back in i started the car and when i put it in reverse it would die and the check engine and battery light would go on, so again i get towed to the shop and Im waiting for the verdict

DO ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT IT COULD BE AND WHAT ISSUES DO THESE CARS USUALLY HAVE AT AROUND 64,000 MILES. ITS ALSO AN AUTOMATIC (im surprised to have so many issues with such low mileage)

Thank You for All your Help:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

I'm a total dummy but bought my 2001 a year ago with low miles (62K). I had to do the brakes which I believe(?) is pretty routine around 60K. Suppose a lot depends on how to drive i.e. lots of city/stop & go vs. highway. I also had to replace the thermostat and flush the coolant. Think I had the serpentine belt when I had just bought the car as preventive maintenance. So, you may not be alone. As for the codes, I doubt I'd be any help but let me know the verdict.

Was the battery disconnected during the previous repair? If so, that could be the source of the new set of problems. Anytime the battery is disconnected the PCM must re-learn new idle trim values. Expect the car to run poorly for a few miles anytime the battery is disconnected.

My 96 was un-driveable until this procedure was done after a battery disconnect.

Bottom line. Today's cars will not run right without a strong battery and charging system.

To speed up the process, allow the car to reach full operating temperature. Hold your foot on the brake for 2 minutes AC off. Repeat with the AC on.

If the battery is weak or the battery terminals are dirty consider having this fixed as well.