need some balancer and flywheel help

1bad67sbf

Nov 24, 2010
N. VA
im thinking of taking an engine i put together for my 1967 and put it in my 1992. the engine has a profesional products balancer with a 28oz weight so can i just get the 50oz weight to swap out with the 28oz and all will be good? i got a stock replacement flywheel from the parts store and they did not know the balance but i think it should be 50oz for a 1992 mustang gt 5.0. if im wrong please let me know. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

im confused here a bit, are you wanting to make a 28oz balance motor a 50oz, or just looking for 28oz stuff to work with the fox stuff? im hoping the latter because just putting a 50oz balancer and flywheel on a motor balanced to 28oz wont work.

thats what im aking, is it more than just the flywheel and balancer. i have a stock flywheel 50oz and a balancer that has a removable weight so i could put a 50oz on it also but your saying that thats not going to work, if its and external balance crankshaft what else is a factor?

You need to match the balancer and flexplate to the crankshaft. If you have a pre 80 crank, it is most likely a 28 oz unit.

Just keep the 28 oz balancer and flexplate and bolt the accessories on.

If you have a 3 bolt balancer then you will need a four bolt 28 oz unit. The 28 oz flexplate should work

Now what if I pulled my motor out of an automatic then took off the flex plate to put on a flywheel to put it on my 5 speed? Is the balancer that was on the auto ok for for use with a manual set up?

Now what if I pulled my motor out of an automatic then took off the flex plate to put on a flywheel to put it on my 5 speed? Is the balancer that was on the auto ok for for use with a manual set up?

if they are the same balance weight, yes, you'll be fine. auto/manual cars used the same front dress, and the motor doesnt care whats bolted on the back as long as its balanced right.

if they are the same balance weight, yes, you'll be fine. auto/manual cars used the same front dress, and the motor doesnt care whats bolted on the back as long as its balanced right.

ok good for that information. i have a slight surge or shake at idle, i dont know if its the cam or not. the short block is out of a 1990 auto with a stock balancer (from the looks of things).. ill go research the things on e303 posts. thanks for the help!

:nice: