Need Some Body Work Estimates.

Tyro

Sep 29, 2012
Whats up guys, I'm looking at a 2004 Mustang GT 40th edition with a bit of body damage. The guy whos selling it says he needs 4000 by the weekend so Im going to make my decision tomorrow.To put it quickly the trunk lid needs to be sanded and repainted, the hood needs to be replaced and painted (Possibly a cobra R hood in the future?) and its got some hail damage on the roof. Im just wondering if any of you have experience with body work and how much this is going to cost me to repair. The inside of this mustang is immaculate (No rips or stress at all on the seats) and it seems to run out good. One more issue is the PO took off the cats when he put flowmasters on it, are there any downsides to this other than the check engine light? Thanks for all the help guys! I'll include a pic
00F0F_kenCrTYiQkC_600x450.jpg
IMG_2255.JPG
IMG_2256.JPG

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

unless your panel painting,at my shop,thats "probably" a replace hood,that means paint and blend fenders,paint repair roof,paint blend quarter panel,plus re and re,materials....2-3 g at a good shop to do it right anyway....thats in canadian $

It's going to run you a few grand just to get those fixed, you would probably be better off looking for a used trunk lid and hood online or at a salvage yard if you want to go for something like a cobra hood or trunk lid.

As far as the car goes, how many miles are on it? If the car has more than 70,000 miles I wouldn't go for it, especially since you can't take it to a shop to have them look it over. I got my 03 for some 6000 last year with 113,000 miles on it and it "felt" good and looked great, but I took it to a shop before buying it and turns out it had a few leaks that were going to be costly to fix (rear main seal and output shaft seal). Luckily they were pretty cheap since I had them fixed during a clutch job. My girlfriend has been looking for a Mustang so I've recently started looking around again and the overall prices of these cars have dropped and I'm seeing more in the 4k-6k range now instead of 7k-9k last year.

This may seem like a great deal, but there'll be better ones out there, trust me, like I said, I went through this whole shenanigan last year. These cars are a money pit when it comes to mods, the last thing you want to do is spend a ton of money just trying to fix issues right after buying one.

Why not just snag a carbon fiber trunk lid and hood and call it good? 800 for a hood and 500 for the deck lid for a total of 1300 bucks. The carbon fiber and the blue paint would look pretty good IMO. The hail damage on the roof could prolly be fixed with paintless dent removal, however I am not sure how much that would run.

Blue book for this car with 100K on the odometer is $8400. So unless there is something else majorly wrong with it, I'd say it is a pretty good deal. 2k in a new hood, trunk lid and hail dent removal and you are still $2400 on the right end.

The cats being removed ain't no thang and won't throw a CEL as long as the 4 O2 sensors are still in place.

Happy buying! :)

Why not just snag a carbon fiber trunk lid and hood and call it good? 800 for a hood and 500 for the deck lid for a total of 1300 bucks. The carbon fiber and the blue paint would look pretty good IMO. The hail damage on the roof could prolly be fixed with paintless dent removal, however I am not sure how much that would run.

Blue book for this car with 100K on the odometer is $8400. So unless there is something else majorly wrong with it, I'd say it is a pretty good deal. 2k in a new hood, trunk lid and hail dent removal and you are still $2400 on the right end.

The cats being removed ain't no thang and won't throw a CEL as long as the 4 O2 sensors are still in place.

That car would look pretty bad @ss with carbon fiber and depends on how much damage there is and how bad it is on the roof. I've heard hail damage varying from 1k and way beyond, but I don't think that was for paintless dent removal.

Whoops, I completely forgot that KBB prices vary by where you live. Where I am, that car with 80k on the OD is worth about $6500 with 100k it drops to $5700. You could get an immaculate 2001 with 80,000 for $4400 over here in NorCal, but it depends on where you live and what you're looking for OP

No problems with having the cats removed, you may get a CEL one day, you may not, if it doesn't have it already. I didn't get one until 3 or 4 months after I installed my o/r h. You'll need a stock midpipe eventually for smog or you'll need to know a guy over there.

Good luck OP, hope this stuff helps out :nice: