Need some fenderwell height measurements, stock LX coupe

1993SSP

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2001
Ky
I am needing some stock measurements from the ground to the center of the fenderwell opening both front and rear. I have a SSP car that I am putting back into decent shape but it seems to have the a$$ sag. Just wanting to see how far off from stock it is both front and rear. Hoping someone here has a stock height coupe or knows roughly what the specs are.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure about an LX. But, for a GT Fox it is ~27-1/4" +/- ~1/4" to the fender.

NOTE: That is for a 100% NEW GT, non-modified, stock tires - properly inflated, stock rims, Fox directly from the factory floor to the dealers lot.

Note#2: From the factory, the GT IS A LOWERED CAR!
The people that call a GT a 4x4 height are clueless. The GT stance is already low for the platform.

The spring isolators sag over time. So, loosing ~1/4"+ is common. If the lower isolators wear out completely (semi-common), that can be another~1/4" drop. A bigger radiator adds more weight up front, and with leverage. Aluminum heads lower the weight in front. And, so on.

When people on the forums talk about drops and fender heights, realize that many people do not have 100% stock Stangs? And, all too often, when people claim an amount dropped in a post (like a 2" drop - 2" drop my *SS!), or other cr*p, realize that some people get their figures from their *ss.

Most people do not have the correct diameter tires, correct rims, or proper inflation. Note, that different model tires can vary by ~+/- 0.1" for the same "size". Even more when you start looking at the cheap tires. Cheap tires like often pants and dress sizes - sized for bragging, not reality.

A number of Foxes have had their fenders replaced or on/off. And, the Fox frame is as solid as a wet noodle. :) So, frame twist/bend can happen over the years. And, if someone measures the same fender height at any two fenders, then they likely made a mistake somewhere. The Fox doe not have 25% weight over each tire - no production car does. Although the front/rear weight distribution for a Fox is "good" for a 80's-90's production rear-wheel drive car, it is still nose heavy.

FYI. my car is my driver in good weather:
(Yea, I don't drive it when it rains or there's snow, but that's what my 2 Oldsmobiles are for.:)):
Mustang 86 - Mach1 Springs

BTW: I know that jack at MM was once thinking about saying in an MM tech article/install what the stock height of a GT was. If anyone knew, or could find out, the exact factory specs for the GTs over the years with the different options (i.e 5spd, auto, vert, cobra), then Jack/MM could. But, considering that, back then, the Ford spec for fitment was "no obvious problem as determined by a blind man 500 feet away from the car":), who even knows how accurate the spec was. Don't forget, we're talking about a company that said 1 quart of oil use every 1,000 mile is fine for a factory engine. :)

Hope the above helps!

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info! I know the car def sits lower in the rear, the Isolators are prob worn for sure. Just didnt know how much they could cause a car to sag