need some flywheel help

iv2jm

Aug 20, 2003
Hey guys, took the flywheel off a 91 HO, forgot to index it to the crank, and im not sure the right way to put it back on...its certainly weighted differently on one side, and on the crank, between two of the bolt holes is a drilled hole, and just outside of a hole on the flywheel is drill mark....

How does it go back on?!?!

• Sponsors (?)

The flywheel bolt holes are drilled in a pattern that matches the crank. DOn't force any bolts in. Rotate it till all the bolt hols line up perfectly. Like EMW150 said, if you can put all the bolts in (with your fingers) then its right. There is only one pattern that will allow you to start all the bolts with your fingers.

So then its not a symmetrical pattern? because it looks very evenly spaced to me...ill see what happens...also, any tricks to get the pilot bearing out without a slide hammer and a puller???

thanks for the help

Correct, it is not symetrical. It just looks like it is.

Only way I have had success is to use a grease gun. I have taken a deep well 3/8 drive socket that just barley fits in the pilot bearing hole. Tape the socket to the end of your grease gun with lots of overlapping tape. Clean the tip of the grease gun and the socket with Gummout jetspray first and dry with a paper towel to make sure the tape holds tight. Put the socket in the pilot bearing hole and pump the grease in while holding the socket tight. I have also layered electricle tap on the socket and wedged it on the hole so it's tight. If it's really stubborn, add more tape and tap the socket in with a hammer. Assuming you do not want the bearing anymore. The hydralic action of the grease should force the bearing out of the end of the crank. It's a pain, but it's worked for me every time.

Thanks for the help...

I know the pressure plate has to go on a certain way, is that weighted to the flywheel? it didnt make sense to me that the flywheel would counterbalance the crank- that should be balanced to itself.