need some front end help

medicman681

Jul 3, 2006
hi everyone my name is wendell, and i'm new to the forum. i was wandering if one of you experts out there could help me. i am rebuilding the front end of my 65 mustang. i have bought all new parts including upper/lower control arms. problem is when i removed the old uppers all the shims fell out and i have no idea how many needs to go back behind each one.i've been told 7/16 to 1/2 inch is a good starting place. can someone help me please. thanks, wendell.

• Sponsors (?)

It doesn't matter too much, but 7/16 to 1/2 inch would be huge. Once you get your upper and lower control arms and spindle in place, but before you tighten the UCA's bolts to the shock towers and before you install the springs, mount the tire and jack the assembly up to where it looks like ride height, and check for camber. Take off the wheel and check the spindle for caster. If they look wrong, then you can add the shims as needed, shooting for zero camber and a couple degrees caster. All you're shooting for is a good enough setting to make it more or less safely to an alignment rack.