Need Some Help With Turn Signals. Plus A Very Strange Module Found Under My Steering Column. (videos

lepryy

Jun 4, 2016
North Carolina
So for starters we are talking about a 1988 LX 5.0.

My turn signals have stopped working. I have done a lot of research on other forums about this and no one has the same issue I do. After doing a bit of guess work, I decided to replace the turn flasher first. That did not fix my problem. Now, I realized that the issue seems to be the multinational lever itself. If I press the lever down, the relay (sometimes) clicks once, then nothing. However, if I apply extra force to the lever they work. As soon as pressure is released they stop working. So now my sights are on the lever mechanism. Where should I go from here?

Video illustrating the issue:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GXXwNMsuz4

Number two: I found a very strange module under my steering column. It is a small box with a clear case. Inside I can see a small circuit board. It has two LED's on it, one green and one red. It also has two dials on it, one white and one black, which seem to be able to be turned with a flat head screwdriver (but I'm definitely not touching those things haha). The dials have little arrows on it with a + and - symbol, indicating which way does what. When you tap the box or shake it, the LED's light up, so it seems like it might have an accelerator in it for some reason. On the clear casing, I'm almost certain it reads "MAS" then under that "Los Angeles". Very very strange.

EDIT: Another user on reddit.com/r/foxmustang has shown me that this is indeed an anti-theft device. It just doesn't work anymore.

Here's a video of that:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHSIF83zKSU

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Your multifunction switch ( lol mulitnational) is most likley bad Know that they are not interchangeable from certain years to other years. Also the box under your dash is mosty likley for some aftermarket alarm. Be careful removing it as often installers hack up wiring when the install them. You want to trace back all of the wiring before you start ripping things out as to not disable the car from starting.

My turn signals have stopped working. I have done a lot of research on other forums about this and no one has the same issue I do. After doing a bit of guess work, I decided to replace the turn flasher first. That did not fix my problem. Now, I realized that the issue seems to be the multinational lever itself. If I press the lever down, the relay (sometimes) clicks once, then nothing. However, if I apply extra force to the lever they work. As soon as pressure is released they stop working. So now my sights are on the lever mechanism. Where should I go from here?

Number two: I found a very strange module under my steering column. It is a small box with a clear case. Inside I can see a small circuit board. It has two LED's on it, one green and one red. It also has two dials on it, one white and one black, which seem to be able to be turned with a flat head screwdriver (but I'm definitely not touching those things haha). The dials have little arrows on it with a + and - symbol, indicating which way does what. When you tap the box or shake it, the LED's light up, so it seems like it might have an accelerator in it for some reason. On the clear casing, I'm almost certain it reads "MAS" then under that "Los Angeles". Very very strange.

EDIT: Another user on reddit.com/r/foxmustang has shown me that this is indeed an anti-theft device. It just doesn't work anymore.

Here's a video of that:

Iookslike something for aftermarket alarm probably proximity alarm sensor. Kinda funny watching you tap it and it blinking like it was gonna blow up.

Multifunction turn signal switch:
Before you think about replacing the multifunction switch with one from the junkyard, here are some things to be aware of...

The problem is more common in GT models because they had fog lights on the same power wiring as the headlights. Ford undersized the wire and that caused problems.

A word of caution about multifunction switches is in order here. The multifunction switch (high/low beam, wiper, turn signals) are different for different years. 87-98 will work in any 87-89 car. The 90-93 switches only work in 90-93 cars. You can't put an early model switch in a late model car, nor can you put a late model switch in an early car.

Supposedly you can move the pins around to make the switches work in model years that are different from the car the switch came out of. I cannot verify that and haven’t tried it.

Other possible problem sources for the turn signal & headlight malfunction are the ignition switch, multifunction switch and the plastic shell that holds the turn signal wiring connector pins.

The following diagram is for 87-89 model cars.

Turn signal switch wiring:
attachment.php?attachmentid=35089&d=1117654157%20.gif
The following diagram is for 90-93model cars.

?temp_hash=b51bc221374cd74935f89f5677f78d9b.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I would remove the alarm if you no longer have the ability to use it. I have seen too many hack jobs that cause problems in the car later on.

The sensor in the picture is a shock sensor. The fact that its blinking when you tap it is saying that the alarm system is still powered and active.

Not sure if you fixed your turn signal problem but I had similar issues and when I checked the steering column multi switch I found a couple of wires backed out of the connector. I squeezed a little silicon caulk on the back and let it dry overnight and my problems went away.

Here's a video of that:

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure if you fixed your turn signal problem but I had similar issues and when I checked the steering column multi switch I found a couple of wires backed out of the connector. I squeezed a little silicon caulk on the back and let it dry overnight and my problems went away.
Multifunction turn signal switch:
Before you think about replacing the multifunction switch with one from the junkyard, here are some things to be aware of...

The problem is more common in GT models because they had fog lights on the same power wiring as the headlights. Ford undersized the wire and that caused problems.

A word of caution about multifunction switches is in order here. The multifunction switch (high/low beam, wiper, turn signals) are different for different years. 87-98 will work in any 87-89 car. The 90-93 switches only work in 90-93 cars. You can't put an early model switch in a late model car, nor can you put a late model switch in an early car.

Supposedly you can move the pins around to make the switches work in model years that are different from the car the switch came out of. I cannot verify that and haven’t tried it.

Other possible problem sources for the turn signal & headlight malfunction are the ignition switch, multifunction switch and the plastic shell that holds the turn signal wiring connector pins.

The following diagram is for 87-89 model cars.

attachment.php?attachmentid=35089&d=1117654157%20.gif
The following diagram is for 90-93model cars.

?temp_hash=b51bc221374cd74935f89f5677f78d9b.jpg

To both of you: Turns out this was the cause of my issues. All those little pins had backed themselves out of the connectors. They are supposed to pressure fit on. I actually fixed it on June 5th, and used your diagrams to do it, so thank you very much. Did not have to replace the multifunction switch at all.

To both of you: Turns out this was the cause of my issues. All those little pins had backed themselves out of the connectors. They are supposed to pressure fit on. I actually fixed it on June 5th, and used your diagrams to do it, so thank you very much. Did not have to replace the multifunction switch at all.
Glad to hear it, enjoy the ride!!

I have this problem but my turn signals on my 96 GT do not flash. I try using the multi switch and the light just stays on. Also I have to keep on my hazards (which do not work) just to use turn signal.

I have this problem but my turn signals on my 96 GT do not flash. I try using the multi switch and the light just stays on. Also I have to keep on my hazards (which do not work) just to use turn signal.
Sorry Jay, this is primarily the 5.0 Fox body forum. You'll have better luck getting a good answer in the modular forum. The wiring changed dramatically when Ford went to the overhead cam or modular engines.