Need some opinions from former SN95 owners please

Ateup

Sep 21, 2009
I have an 03 GT vert and I like it but was really yearning for a Terminator the last year. I have 20K in cash and have been looking for 3 months for a vert Terminator that's fairly stock within 500 miles of here. The pickings for what color etc that I want have been slim. I though I had one bought but the dude won't answer my pm's now, so I've about had it. I made the mistake of turning my attention to the 05-09 Gt verts that I could get for the same amount of cash. I know they would not compare in the performance dept to the cobras, but I think I might be tired of the whole SN95 platform. It just suddenly seems so outdated compared to your cars. I like power, but I'm not really into wrenching hardcore on my car to get the most HP I possible can out of it. My question I guess is this:

-What do you like/dislike over your SN95 and did you ever look back and wish you hadn't upgraded?

Thanks in advance guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Having owned both a '01 and '10, the one thing I can tell you I love about the SN95s is that they are shorter and lighter than the S-197. I parked my '10 next to a Ford Flex one day, and couldn't help but notice they appeared to be the same length, which is something that horribly annoys me. Aside from that, however, I do love my '10! Everything else about it feels stronger than the SN95.

As a personal choice, I like the looks of the 1999-2004 SN95s more than 2005-2009 S-197s. But that's my own likes and dislikes.

I had a '98 and drove a '01 Bullitt for 9 years before I traded it in for a '11 GT. The differences in the Bullitt and the '11 GT, to me anyway, are night and day. While I loved my Bullitt and it's uniqueness to other SN95s, the new one wins hands down. While the '11 is heavier than th '01, it feels solid, firm and sure of itslef on the road. While it weighs 300 lbs. more than the Bullitt, The 5.0 makes that difference disappear the instant you stand on it. It's also easier to get in and out of. The interior and creature comforts are far and away better in the '11 and really make the SN95s quite dated. Having said all of that, I have not looked back and only hope that my Bullitt went to someone who knows the history and the value of that car and has joined the IMBOC forum to become a new Bullitthead!! :)

I had an '04 40th edition (with the actual package, not just the fender emblems :nonono:) GT 'vert.

I loved the car.. it had a cloth top (40th PACKAGE), stripes, etc.

Cons (compared to the '07)

• handling/ride = ROUGH
  • I was NEVER able to get rid of the brake 'grind' that was felt through the steering wheel (hard to explain)
  • Interior- :nonono: I liked the steering wheel for some odd reason, but hated the door panels.
  • Overall interior noise - LOUD (I know, convertible). But still - could barely have a conversation in the car without YELLING.
  • I'd have to say that's about it..
Pros, compared to the '07:

• Trunk release button in the glove box; yes, you can add them, but seriously, why omit a technological/convenience advantage from newer cars that are more expensive?
  • Size - a lot smaller (in my opinion) than the '07. But actually, mileage is better on the Shelby.
With the S197 -
The quality - so much better. The fit and finish, the design, the interior - OMG - a world of difference.

Gosh.. I'll never forget driving the Shelby home from the dealership - just such an amazing feel. I love Fords, even over Mercedes. I've driven a new E-class, multiple MLs, a GL, tons of Cs, etc.. and I would take my Shelby any day (or any other S197 for that matter). These cars 'feel' good on the road - very ergonomic.

Do I regret my purchase? NO. Would I buy another S197? YES!

But would I also buy an SN-95 as an ADDITIONAL car? Yes.

I had an 2001 GT before I bought my 08 GT. No 05+ Mustang sounds as good as the previous body style, especially a Cobra. My 01 had Flowmasters and sounded great, I wish I could get my 08 to sound like that. Don't get me wrong my 08 sounds good, just not as mean as my old car. My old car also felt faster, it would throw you back into the seat more.

It just depends on what you want, my new Mustang is a much nicer car, and isn't as rough around the corners as the last body style. But if you want that feeling then go for it, I sometimes wish my 08 was a little more like that. But then it's also nice to have it for what it is.

I had an 2001 GT before I bought my 08 GT. No 05+ Mustang sounds as good as the previous body style, especially a Cobra. My 01 had Flowmasters and sounded great, I wish I could get my 08 to sound like that. Don't get me wrong my 08 sounds good, just not as mean as my old car. My old car also felt faster, it would throw you back into the seat more.

Yeah, I was going to mention that - I've heard that issue brought up in many discussions. I'm guessing it has to do with the placement of the mufflers on both cars (pre-axle versus behind the bumper)? Or is it because of 3 valve, versus 2 or 4?

I had an 01 GT up until I was rearened back last August and the car was totaled. My 01 had every bolt on including stage II cams. It was a great car loved the look and sound of her. Bought my 07 GT this past October. It takes a few exterior mods to make the S197 look good. With all the bolt ons my 01 made 293rwhp. The s197s can make that with a CAI and 93OCT tune. I love the look of the 03-04 mach 1 interiors and I also love the retro look of the s197. With the right exhaust combo the s197 can sound just as good as the sn95 GT. The best sounding stang to me is the 03-04 cobras. All in all the s197 is a better car.

I had both a 99 and an 04. I had a lot of bolt on and cosmetic mods but
just became bored. My 06 is like a totally different car. The fun factor
is back:D. The 06 is way faster right out of the box, partialy due to the 3V
engine and the 5 speed auto trans. The interior is awesome, more room,
better seats, digital info center.

I've heard it's because of muffler placement and the firing order itself. The 05+ still sound good, everyone here has brought up good points for both cars.

Have you driven a 05+ Mustang? Go try one out and see how you like it. I always look at the 05+ as more refined and smoother, where the SN95's are rougher and less refined, and that's not a bad thing. Just depends on how you want your car to feel. I have heard that one you do a tune and CAI on the 05+ it feels more like the SN95, but I haven't done it personally.

Thanks for the opinions guys. drug my 03 out from hibernation and cleaned it up for sale. i'm definitely tired of the Sn95 platform. Willl be joining the S197 ranks as soon as i can find my picky ass one.

The 1999 -2004 is one of the best, if not the best body styles, IMO. I had a 2004 GT, I loved it.

You're going to miss the great sound of a New Edge. NOTHING sounds as good, not even Foxbodies, IMO.

I love my 2010, but it sounds like a shrimp boat. Even with aftermarket exhaust, I've never really heard an S197 that does *it* for me.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

I still have my '03 GT convertible.

Yea, I looked at the 2010's, 2011's, and now the 2012's. The biggest mental block is the cost. I have a fully equipped premium. To get such in a 2012 would run me more than 30% more than my 2003, and I just can't get my head around that.

So, the '03 stays in my garage. Though, I did upgrade the Mach radio with a new GPS/Bluetooth unit just to keep it a little fresh.

The 1999 -2004 is one of the best, if not the best body styles, IMO. I had a 2004 GT, I loved it.

You're going to miss the great sound of a New Edge. NOTHING sounds as good, not even Foxbodies, IMO.

I love my 2010, but it sounds like a shrimp boat. Even with aftermarket exhaust, I've never really heard an S197 that does *it* for me.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

With the right exhaust the S197 can sound just as good as the SN95.

YouTube - Mustang ARH LT's + Catted X-Pipe + Pypes Mid Muffler System

YouTube - 05 Mustang GT Exhaust - Magnaflow Catted X Pipe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Ftc82mT7I&feature=related

Get a low mileage 05+ with a TS blower making low boost. Keep it safe and the power is great also. I went from a cammed 00GT vert to a 06GT vert with a Saleen blower.

I went from an 86, to a 92 to a 95 and now have an 07.

I loved the heavily modified 95, but my 07 kicked the crap out of it in just about every way stock. The interior of the 07 is much quieter. The only thing that my 95 did better was stop. The Cobra brakes I had on my 95 were great. I have the GT500 front Brembo's on my 07 and it still feels like a tank.

One thing I miss about the 95 and it's a small thing is that the driver's seat would always go back to it's original position after you had reclined it. With the 07 I always have to screw with it a bit to get the angle back to how it was. It bothers me because I take a nap in my car every day after lunch. With the 95 it was just pull up the lever and go. With the 07 sometimes I have to play with it a bit. (The seat, I mean. :D)