need some opinions on a used 331 Stroker I bought

njmaier

May 22, 2011
Hi all,

I just bought a used Keith Craft 331 stroker. It was built in 2001...I have the build sheet for it. It was running fine when taken out of the car it was in. I'm new to actual motor work, and I need some help here.

I was wondering what you guys think...should I have this motor freshened up (honing the bores, new bearings, etc.) or not? From what little I know on the subject, it doesn't seem like the motor has been run a whole lot. I can still see the cross hatching on the cylinder walls. There are no scores in the bores except for the #1 cylinder (see the pic below). That score is deep enough to catch my finger nail as I pass over it. There isn't much if any carbon buildup on the pistons. The bottom end looks fine. All of the rod caps are tight with no slop.

What do you guys think? I'd rather not tear apart a perfectly good motor, but if that's what needs to be done then so be it.

Thanks for any input!

View attachment 188238

View attachment 188239

View attachment 188240

View attachment 188241

View attachment 188242

View attachment 188243

View attachment 188244

• Sponsors (?)

That one cylinder looks kinda iffy. If you're catching your nail in it, it's deep enough to warrant some attention.

You may very well be able to put it back together and get a couple more years out of it. The question is, do you want to chance it and do you want to pull it out all over again a couple of years from now?

I'd also want to know the condition of that particular piston if the cylinder wall is scored like that. You may just get away with a new piston and light honing and you may even just get away with a honing and new rings, but you won't know until you get a look at it?

And hey…at least this way you’ll know what condition your bottom end is in. Bearings are cheap.

There is no carbon buildup since some one has cleaned it, you can see all the fine scratches on the tops of the pistons.

Usually the scoring in the top of the bore is from "fuel wash". Excessive fuel wipes the oil off the bore and the rings will easily scratch the cylinder bore. Id see some other marks that are from some hard running and maybe a little dirty oil. Id break it down, tank it, check and change the cam bearings, hone it and put new rings, bearings, oil pump and timing chain if needed.

If you can feel the mark with your finger it needs a little attention...

Looks like an old Probe pistons, and it has a pretty decent dish Id guess at 14cc+, whats the build sheet say? I assume this is a boosted motor, with the dish the compression with a 58cc head will be about 9.5:1...at a guess.

The motor was originally built to be turboed, but the turbo never got installed. The pistons are JE...9:1...not sure on the dish spec. They are JE part number 168764.

It had Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 170 61cc heads.

Yeah..I guess I should have it looked at. I was hoping to not have to spend the money, but I'd rather have that warm and fuzzy feeling that everything is right before it goes in.

Now I need to find someone that knows what they are doing to work on it. Does anyone have any recommendations? I live in northwest Arkansas...Bentonville / Fayetteville area. Keith Craft is about a 4hr drive from here...thought about going back to them.

Thanks.

Isn't Keith Craft located in Arkansas? Google them and find out. If so, consider taking it back to them, since they built it in the first place

Isn't Keith Craft located in Arkansas? Google them and find out. If so, consider taking it back to them, since they built it in the first place

Yes they are. Arkadelphia, AR...about a 4 hour drive from where I am at. I was hoping to find someone reputable closer to where I live. I haven't heard anything great about the local shops I have to choose from. I need to call them...may just make it a day trip if they can fit me in in a day.