Need some opinions on Drag Radials!

SideStep302

Jan 12, 2012
Rhode Island
Hey guys, just wanted to get some opinions on some Drag Radials. I have a 91 GT and I want to get some tires for my 17x9" cobra r rims. I dont drive the car much and it will be going to the track every so often. I wanted a tire that has the biggest sidewall possible and I am not really sure what size will work best. I have been asking around a couple different places and just wanted to get some input for the best bang for my buck. I don't want it to look like a low profile tire and I want it to hook well for the track and for the street. btw my quad shock is still in.275/40 R 17 seemed to be the size? Just not sure what that looks like on 17" rims. I want most sidewall possible! Pics would be very much appreciated. Thanks for anyone who has some input!
(searched for this question but couldnt seem to find the exact answer)

I was thinking these: ?????
http://www.lethalperformance.com/03...19_1722/hoosier-275-40-17-drag-radial-p-10212

• Sponsors (?)

The Hoosiers hook hard, you'll be happy with them. The 275/40 is about the largest you can fit in the rear, although I usually do not have quad shocks in my way. It doesnt have a ton of side wall, but it looks consistent with a factory look but wider...

I just put a set on a 93 Cobra, they just rub on hard accell on the inner wheel, a little heat and beat will take car of that. The rims are 17" x 8" so they buldge just a tad.

I can grab you some pics tomorrow when I get in the shop... I have BFGs on it, I feel they last the longest on the street. The Hoosiers and MTs are much softer and dont last long on a driver.

I like drag radials ;)

if your lucky....

Attachments

• cobra wheel.jpg
    cobra wheel.jpg
    714.5 KB · Views: 159
My preference for the street is nitto's or BFG's.
The mileage should be 10k+, on a nice day they hook plenty good for most power levels.
Both also offer very good handling characteristics.

Unless your power level (which i don't know what is) is very high, i'd leave the MT's and hoosiers to the hardcore track guys.

I'm not making much power just bolt on's. I'll be honest, I really like the large white lettering like the "M/T" or "hoosier" written on the side. Makes it look cooler on my opininon. Just can't find an applicable drag radial with that writing with a 275/50r17

I'm not making much power just bolt on's. I'll be honest, I really like the large white lettering like the "M/T" or "hoosier" written on the side. Makes it look cooler on my opininon. Just can't find an applicable drag radial with that writing with a 275/50r17

Well, couple reasons your aren't going to find what you are looking for, the correct sidewall on a 17 in a 275 width is a 40 series. 50 is way the hell off, you are talking 2 inches of total height difference. Not alot of room for lettering.
In reality even if you did find the size you wanted, it will be a mess on the car, for sure it would rub somewhere, your speedometer would be quite a bit off, and your gearing will be essentially changed.

You want that look, you will need to go down in rim size.

i had it narrowed between nitto or bfg to put on my 88 white gt and decided to go with the bfg. the bfg almost was a dead hook on the street but sucked at the track. didnt spent much time at the track so it made sense to buy mainly for the street. i did alot of reading on the forums between the two and then made my decision.

i had it narrowed between nitto or bfg to put on my 88 white gt and decided to go with the bfg. the bfg almost was a dead hook on the street but sucked at the track. didnt spent much time at the track so it made sense to buy mainly for the street. i did alot of reading on the forums between the two and then made my decision.
"sucked at the track" is a bit of an overstatement.
Remember, the bfg drag radial is pretty much what got the drag radial class going.
They are capable of sub 10 second runs on 17 inch wheels and went all the way down into the 7's on 15's.

Keep in mind too, dead hooking on the street is much harder than at the track.

prob why it "sucked" is it hooked and you didnt have the power to drive through it and it just pulled the nose down and started to spin.

Reactions: 1 user