Need some opinions on Flowmaster mufflers

I’ve always had great experiences with the dynomax ultraflo. They don’t have any sort of drone and are quieter than my old flowmasters. They’re 3in diameter but you wouldn’t even know unless you’re wide open.

This guy actually knows what he is talking about. This is the most counter intuitive thread I have ever read in my life. Taking Dynomax mufflers off to put flowbastards on is like trading in a clean 9" **** dick for a herp infested 3" model. Flowmasters announce your small penis in epic fashion, while they kill hp, drone you to death on the highway, and rust out in 3 years. Do step up to the Ultraflows; they are worth the money. I have had several sets of Flowmasters installed by previous owners, so I have been there. I have had the same set of Ultraflows on my Mustang for 21 years now. You could take a rag and bottle of Windex to them, put them back in the box, and sell them as new. That's how good the build quality is. Is there any way I could be more clear about my position on this?

Kurt

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

This guy actually knows what he is talking about. This is the most counter intuitive thread I have ever read in my life. Taking Dynomax mufflers off to put flowbastards on is like trading in a clean 9" **** dick for a herp infested 3" model. Flowmasters announce your small penis in epic fashion, while they kill hp, drone you to death on the highway, and rust out in 3 years. Do step up to the Ultraflows; they are worth the money. I have had several sets of Flowmasters installed by previous owners, so I have been there. I have had the same set of Ultraflows on my Mustang for 21 years now. You could take a rag and bottle of Windex to them, put them back in the box, and sell them as new. That's how good the build quality is. Is there any way I could be more clear about my position on this?

Kurt
Uhh....No? :shrug:

I have the DF 50's on my 92GT. 427"w, makes a shade over 600hp (EFI) n\a. No cats. 3". Long tubes.

they are loud. Quieter than 40's but I would say not by a lot. They still drone. Still sound like FM's. Sounds really mean especially after a warm startup. They really bark at idle and then again when you're on the throttle, which is rare for me. I'm thinking about changing them to something a little less aggressive as well as putting cats on it which will quiet it even more.

you can get rid of most of the drone by making heimholz resonators. I have not done it on the 92. Other car is a 4 cylinder with a Dynomax super turbo welded 3" muffler and you can definitely hear it. It likes to "drone" (if you call it that) at about 2400 RPM. So I made a heimholz resonator for it and got rid of that drone at that speed completely, moved it further up in the band (like way up). 2400 RPM in 5th is about 70 mph, so freeway speed, it got old-quick (remember-4 cylinder!)

my old car had a pair of dirt cheap turbo mufflers with a very similar exhaust setup (long tubes, 2.5" headers back, with H pipe). Not real loud but certainly attention grabbing to a gearhead. You could hear the exhaust pulses running through the header tubes which I personally like. On the throttle, again not real loud but most definitely a signature muscle car sound. Sorta similar to the original 5.0 sound, just more aggressive.