Need some opinions on my 95 track toy rebuild - mainly cam

redsn95gt

Aug 5, 2010
I am mid-way through my final assembly and I am making some last minute substitutions.. this is my first engine, and i'm going a little nuts. So I was hoping to get some opinions to know that I am running on the right track. The goal is a mid 300hp NA track toy that I can still drive on the street and cruise. Car is gutted, suspension is all MM and UPR tubular stuff, i dream of go-kart handling.

So heres what I am working with:
302 block bored to 306, ARP main bolts
Federal Mogul rebuild kit with Hyper pistons (NA build, good for 400hp) .030 over + all gaskets and bearings
repolished stock crank
stock rods, machined, ARP bolts pressed
balanced to 50oz
ford racing steel flywheel
stock balancer
ford racing oil pump, ARP oil pump shaft, stock pickup
AFR 165 heads ported from keith craft racing with Manley valves, KCR springs, rated for .600" lift with 58cc chambers
ARP head studs
Scorpion 1.6 7/16" aluminum rockers
CompCam magnum hardened pushrods
Holley systemax II intake
30lb injectors w/ calibrated Pro-M MAS
BBK 65mm tb
BBK cold air
mallory fuel rails
aeromotive FPR
255 walbro fuel pump
braided fuel lines
stock oil pan
.. im sure im leaving a lot out but you get the picture

The big last minute switch is I was formerly running 1.7 CraneCam rockers with trick flow rods on a stock cam and GT40 heads. Turns out the heads were all messed up (bent valves, cracked guides), so I didn't want to dump any more money in them, went on to AFR. With the AFR heads, this setup had to change, there was no way I was going to tap into their true potential without a good cam and rocker setup.

So the last item I am missing is the cam. I am using a ECU out of a 94 manual (its a 95 chassis formerly AODE) so I am concerned about issues with it rejecting the cam I throw at it and making me stall out, hesitate, idle like crap and all that nonsense.

Heres what I am looking at:
Steeda #19 - Seemingly impossible to find, possibly out of production, but this cam was built for this ECU, really like the reviews and write ups on this.
CompCams XE274-HR - I have heard this should be a fantastic cam, I need some testimony from folks running stock ECUs. The 274 should not be too big for my little 306. Let me know otherwise..

I am open to any suggestions.. the cheaper the solution the better, my budget is way out of control.

Appreciate your input!

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like a good build. Good call on not wasting any more money on the heads. I'd just spend the money on a custom cam. Most of the aftermarket cams are ground to be run with 1.6 rockers. By the time you sell the 1.7s and get 1.6s, you've already spent the difference between the shelf and aftermarket cam.

Kurt

Ok - i'm totally open to a custom grind. Who do you recommend? Anderson? How much will that set me back? Seeing that a CompCams cam will run around $280, it would be nice to see something around that price. But then again..

"..if its something worth doing, its worth doing right." -Hunter S Thompson as Raul Duke

Everyone here seems to like Ed Curtis for cams. I've never used his stuff. I got a custom cam from Comp, but since I've only backed it out and in of the garage, I couldn't tell you how good it is. Comp doesn't seem to like to work with the general public. I went through a machinest that had a good repor with comp, and he gets stuff that's spot on.

Kurt

Speak with Ed Curtis about a custom cam or call Anderson Ford Motorsport. They have special grinds too. Can't go wrong with either. The Steeda #19 is a great cam but it's not real aggressive unless you run 1.72 rockers. The lobe makes it idle friendly with a stock ECU. I don't think Steeda makes it anymore as it's a 15-16 year old grind. I'd pass on that CompCam.

I think the Steeda #19 got replaced with the #20. The whole purpose behind the #19 was to have a cam that would work on the SNs without a tune. Since everyone gets a tune now, there really isn't any reason to do it.

Kurt