Need some towing advice.

JH96GT

Founding Member
Aug 20, 2000
Twilight Zone, TN.
I trailered my Capri for a 1000 mile round trip back around Memorial Day, and IT SUCKED. I've got an 05 Sierra 1500 crew cab SLT w/ the 5.3, 3.73's and the towing package. Auto tranny too.

I was wondering.......if I drop the driveshaft and plug the rear of the tranny, can I use a tow dolley for that distance? I'm just curious because it would seem that a tow dolley would be easier than a trailer, but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

if it's a stick you can just put it in neutral without damaging anything.

If it's an auto, you can put the rear wheels on the dolly and tie off the steering wheel without dropping the driveline and it will tow just fine. If you don't have the clearance in the front to tow it backwards without draging the front bumper then yes, drop the driveline at the rearend and just tie it up with a bungie cord or something, you don't need to remove it from the tranny.

Never tow an auto in neutral without the engine running, automatics need the engine running to lubricate the trans, manuals do not.

Edit: Tow dollies are lighter than trailers, but having 2 different sets of "trailered" wheels (dolly wheels, then car wheels) makes backing up a sizable challenge. Also, sharp turns can (I've seen it) high center the car on the dolly fender. A full trailer is your best bet, but a dolly will be fine if you know what you're doing or are very careful.

what sucked about towing?

my guess is the weight distribution was bad and you didn't have enough tongue weight, whick makes a trailer a handful abd actually quite dangerous.

how big was the trailer? how heavy was the tongue?

what sucked about towing?

my guess is the weight distribution was bad and you didn't have enough tongue weight, whick makes a trailer a handful abd actually quite dangerous.

how big was the trailer? how heavy was the tongue?

The trailer was probably around 2k and my car is around 3k. The tongue weight was fine as well as the weight distribution. I also had one of the distribution hitches to help if I needed it. No fish tailing or swaying when a semi passed me running 85 or so :eek: , I just didn't like the up and down the hills crap. It pulled it fine on level ground - but I'm just used to being able to make good time on the interstate and you are NOT going to do that towing.

Biggest issue for me was the hills and pulling in D w/ the 12 mpg........but that is part of it.

I'm just curious to see if towing a dolly on the interstate at a safe speed is easier than a 16ft. trailer (what I had last time), especially on those loooong sloping hills. It's not like I was in the mountains, but you get some decent sized hills on I-65 between Nashville and Birmingham. B-ham to the coast was easier.

The trailer was probably around 2k and my car is around 3k. The tongue weight was fine as well as the weight distribution. I also had one of the distribution hitches to help if I needed it. No fish tailing or swaying when a semi passed me running 85 or so :eek: , I just didn't like the up and down the hills crap. It pulled it fine on level ground - but I'm just used to being able to make good time on the interstate and you are NOT going to do that towing.

Biggest issue for me was the hills and pulling in D w/ the 12 mpg........but that is part of it.

I'm just curious to see if towing a dolly on the interstate at a safe speed is easier than a 16ft. trailer (what I had last time), especially on those loooong sloping hills. It's not like I was in the mountains, but you get some decent sized hills on I-65 between Nashville and Birmingham. B-ham to the coast was easier.

I cant imagine pulling that set up with a 1/2 ton truck that long distances. I have a 01 Silverado with 3.73s and the 5.3 thats lifted on 35s and it hates the hills out on highways. I imagine that was puttin a good amount of stress and strain on your tranny (as the 460le trannies in these trucks arent the strongest). I'm sure a dolly would be less of a pain to haul but I dont think you'll be happy still on long haul trips with lots of hills.. Obviously a diesel would be ideal or even the 6.0L that gm has in the 3/4 ton trucks would work better but obviously you're talkin some major $$$ to do that..

A smaller half ton truck should pull alright. It won't pull like a larger truck, but shouldn't have issues with a small trailer and a Mustang (Capri in your case). I towed mine some with my 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and unless I was on a steep hill it didn't have issues. We tow with our 95 F150 (5.0) all the time, and it tows fine, again steep long hills hurt, especially because my dad doesn't speed when towing, and hitting a hill at 65 wil stick you down around 60 at the top.

A dolly would be lighter, but probably more nerve racking to tow with.

Why bother unhooking the driveshaft? It's not needed.

If your going to do serious towing, I'd look into a 3/4 or 1 ton truck with a diesel. I've towed with a 3500 Cummins Quad Cab Ram and had to kept looking in my rear view to see if there was still a truck and trailer behind me. You don't feel it there.