Need suggestions on car cover

TexasFireman

15 Year Member
Jun 12, 2008
Beaumont Tx
I want to pick up a good car cover to keep on the Coupe when its in the garage. Anyone have any suggestions? I want one that fits good and is going to last. There are so many out there, its hard to know whats good and whats not. Pics would be great if you have them.

• Sponsors (?)

IMO, I think if you're garaging it you're better off not covering it. At that point a cover really isn't doing anything but telling your neighbors you're super anal. Plus I had a bad experience one time when rain water leaked into the garage and I had the car covered- the cover trapped the humidity and held condensated water against the sheetmetal for a solid week before I discovered it.

That was in a garage that was literally 100 years old and did not do well with humidity and temperature changes, so I'm sure you wouldn't have the same experience in a well-built garage. But after that, I just don't see the point. I tossed the cover the very next day. And fixed the rain leak, of course ;)

Reactions: 1 user
IMO, I think if you're garaging it you're better off not covering it. At that point a cover really isn't doing anything but telling your neighbors you're super anal. Plus I had a bad experience one time when rain water leaked into the garage and I had the car covered- the cover trapped the humidity and held condensated water against the sheetmetal for a solid week before I discovered it.

That was in a garage that was literally 100 years old and did not do well with humidity and temperature changes, so I'm sure you wouldn't have the same experience in a well-built garage. But after that, I just don't see the point. I tossed the cover the very next day. And fixed the rain leak, of course ;)
agreed. Don't cover.

Instead of a cover, buy one of these. WOrks great.

0910cct_02_z+california+car_duster.jpg

@ TexasFireman, get a good soft cotton cover, it "breaths well". I'm sure high humidity in Texas shouldn't be much of an issue. The cover will offer more protection from something brushing up against the car than no cover at all. The cheap covers are cheap for a reason, they are garbage and have the potential to cause more harm than good. I'm sure you will agree, common sense says you should never cover a dusty or dirty car.

I store mine during the winter in an unheated poll barn uncovered. When I picked it up this year it was very dusty with lots of watermarks on it from condensation. After a quick touch less car wash she looked like new. I'm glad I didn't cover it.

Also, those California dusters do nothing but scratch and swirl your paint.

Also, those California dusters do nothing but scratch and swirl your paint.

I would argue that by prolonging the amount of time you go between washes, the dusters ultimately lead to less scratching and swirling than washing once a week or once every other week when it gets dusty. I washed my car a total of 2 times last season, but you'd never know it because it always looked clean from using the duster. It's the lesser of two evils, if you will.

I would argue that by prolonging the amount of time you go between washes, the dusters ultimately lead to less scratching and swirling than washing once a week or once every other week when it gets dusty. I washed my car a total of 2 times last season, but you'd never know it because it always looked clean from using the duster. It's the lesser of two evils, if you will.

I used to use a CA duster, and after polishing my paint with my DA to a swirl free finish, I noticed right away that my CA duster was creating new swirls. I polished my paint again using my rotary and my DA 2 years ago and have since been using megs UQD on a regular basis and proper washes if necessary. FWIW, I have ZERO swirls in my paint in 2 years. I may have picked up a random line here or there, but that's no big deal to me.

You're doing much more damage to your paint using a duster than you would if you properly washed your car and used a QD properly between washes if/when necessary.

I used to use a CA duster, and after polishing my paint with my DA to a swirl free finish, I noticed right away that my CA duster was creating new swirls. I polished my paint again using my rotary and my DA 2 years ago and have since been using megs UQD on a regular basis and proper washes if necessary. FWIW, I have ZERO swirls in my paint in 2 years. I may have picked up a random line here or there, but that's no big deal to me.

You're doing much more damage to your paint using a duster than you would if you properly washed your car and used a QD properly between washes if/when necessary.

1. How are you dusting your car that it creates swirls? Massaging it?

2. Using QD makes me want to punch myself in the nads. That stuff is tedious. Where I can dust my car in about 30 seconds, it could take 20 minutes to go over it with a "Quick" Detailer. I hate how that stuff hazes up unless you buff it out right away.

1. How are you dusting your car that it creates swirls? Massaging it?

2. Using QD makes me want to punch myself in the nads. That stuff is tedious. Where I can dust my car in about 30 seconds, it could take 20 minutes to go over it with a "Quick" Detailer. I hate how that stuff hazes up unless you buff it out right away.

1. Nope, using it as the package says will induce swirls... don't believe me, feel free to go over on Autopia and ask the professional detailers. All that thing does is scratch your paint while removing dust.

2. You may think it is tedious, but I think it's rather easy once you get the hang of it. Besides, UQD works very well on properly polished and sealed paint.

1. Nope, using it as the package says will induce swirls... don't believe me, feel free to go over on Autopia and ask the professional detailers. All that thing does is scratch your paint while removing dust.

2. You may think it is tedious, but I think it's rather easy once you get the hang of it. Besides, UQD works very well on properly polished and sealed paint.

I still have a hard time believing 10 seconds of dusting is worse for your paint than all that rubbing and buffing. But if you're right, I guess it's finally time for me to buy a monkey and teach him to detail my car, haha.

That stupid detailing site wrecked me, IMO (Autopia specifically). I used to take my car to the car wash, use the duster, etc... then when I started reading threads about swirled/scratched paint and seeing how they identified the swirls and the fact that many products simply fill and mask the swirls, it was my undoing. I did a dawn dish soap wash and was terrified at the amount of scratches/swirls in my Mustang.

I did some research on that site, bought a PC and a rotary, some pads, compounds and polishes, and went to work. I ended up removing all the swirls in my car and I've been able to keep it maintained for a while now. Here are some pics of a detail I did on my old DD. The paint on the grand prix was about as swirled as the paint on my Mustang. Unfortunately I never took before/after pics of my mustang paint restoration:

N8Dogg98;253423 said:
This is my 1996 Grand Prix GTP that I recently acquired for a daily driver/winter beater. This car was in rough shape with bad water spots and swirls. The car was washed with Meguires Gold Class, wheels cleaned with Armor All wheel cleaner, glass cleaned with Invisible Glass, and tires dressed with Armor All tire foam.
N8Dogg98;253423 said:
Paint Correction:
Meguiars clay with meg's QD
Menzerna Power Gloss via rotary and wool pad
Pinnacle XMT Fine Swirl Remover via rotary and white polishing pad
Meguiars NXT Tech Wax

Before:

P9306195.jpg

P9306198.jpg

P9306199.jpg

P9306200.jpg

P9306204.jpg