Fox Need Suggestions

Should I swap the motor or work on the v6?

• Total voters
  • Sponsors (?)

Well,...you are in for a long wait.

Be advised:

The K member will have to be changed out to allow that 351 to mount. The transmission behind the 3.3 will not work either. There is a 7.5" rear in your car, and it will need to be changed out as well.

More than likely you'll need a different oil pan.

Since your current fuel system is carbureted, swapping the 351 over to a carburetor will be the easier path,...

If that engine runs, Leave it alone. Change out the pan, swap the intake and put a carburetor on it. In reading through this thread, I think that you're biting off more than you can chew,..but hey, you gotta learn somewhere.

I think you'd be better off finding, and getting a donor Mustang that has a complete 5.0 and it's related running gear and using that as a swap source. As much stuff as you have to change out on the current car will take a very long time unless you have about 10k sitting in a bank,...and if you do,..I'd sell the whole 79 car and buy a completed project. You can buy sweat for .50 on the dollar.

Reactions: 1 users
I picked up the 351w yesterday so now I just need to start cleaning the engine up

Attachments

• IMG_1714.JPG
    IMG_1714.JPG
    454.1 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1716.JPG
    IMG_1716.JPG
    424.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1717.JPG
    IMG_1717.JPG
    396.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1719.JPG
    IMG_1719.JPG
    501.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1720.JPG
    IMG_1720.JPG
    380 KB · Views: 123
You're going to be in for at least 4k like boosted said. I personally can't justify that for a 302 when for a few pennies more you can have a 347.

If it was me, this is just me mind you I'd be looking at 351 or bigger.
While this sounds really good; And believe me I want this done to my project; the truth is if you're gonna swap you should buy a donor to simplify and even then you will need a lot of time and a lot of money. I am on the road you are about to venture down right now with a fox wagon build. Be prepared for a long haul. I am blue collar with a family so it is taking forever to find the time and money. I work overtime so I can afford my parts but then I don't have the time and energy to wrench. I believe I see light at the end of the tunnel, but it's dim.

Reactions: 1 user
Cleaned the block a bit for now and I'm not worried about the heads since I'm going to be taken them off and putting some gt40 heads. I'm thinking about going with a gold theme since the car is red.

Attachments

• IMG_1729.JPG
    IMG_1729.JPG
    762.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1730.JPG
    IMG_1730.JPG
    528.2 KB · Views: 157
I talked to a tech at lunati years ago when piecing together my junk and they told me that the voodoo series cams are not well suited for efi.
If I remember right, which is rare, there is too much overlap, both valves open, thats what gives it that distinct sound.