Need the advice of the experts

GT/CS07

Jan 4, 2009
So today I visited my local supposed "Mustang" experts about getting a Saleen supercharger. Not for the install but for the dyno tune. So long story short I am being told to not put a supercharger on my automatic. I am being told it destroys the drivetrain. This doesn't sound right to me at all. I have researched the forums and seen many members running anything from twin screw set ups to the twin turbos. I have also visited many of popular vendor sites with no real issues being described. Can anyone give me a run down on their experience? This is my first automatic in a Mustang so I don't know how different things are going to be. I wish it would of been a 5spd but I couldn't pass up the deal on the car. I appreciate the help guys.

• Sponsors (?)

the auto will not hold as much power as the manual. stick to about 425 rwhp or less to be "safer". there is no magic number for a safe level, so keep that in mind. you can run a power adder on the auto, you just may be upgrading it sooner than you thought.

The max RWHP for the auto is 450HP, that would be with an external cooler and a deep sump oil pan. The most important is to find not a good tuner but a great tuner, these tranny use bands and not clutches to shift gears if you get any overlap you'll burn this tranny out easily. My suggestion is to contact MM&FF magazine, they have an auto project car with the 500HP Ford Racing whipple kit, they found an excellent tuner for their car, go with him.

My buddy burned up his auto trans ('07) in less than an hour after installing a Procharger. It was time consuming and expensive to repair because the '07 electronics are different than previous years and he had to have the tranny built to handle the new HP. I've seen/read about guys drag racing these autos with big horsepower but after seeing my buddy's grief there's no way I'd chance it - not without a deep pocketed sponsor.