Need the BEST Throwout Bearing out there!!

Caldwell

Apr 27, 2004
Ontario Canada
Hey, what's goin on
my TOB is toast again, been exactly one year since i replaced the last one. Someone tell me that's typical...

So i'm askin what's the best to go with? what TOBs have people had good luck with?

thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

My stock one lasted 80000 miles, how do you go through it so fast? Are you pressing the clutch in stop and go traffic and stop lights or something?

But when you say its toast, is it fubar'd or just squeeling?

Zero Signal said:
My stock one lasted 80000 miles, how do you go through it so fast? Are you pressing the clutch in stop and go traffic and stop lights or something?

But when you say its toast, is it fubar'd or just squeeling?

it's just squeeling

barely, but i would much rather replace it than bandaid the problem.

i usually put the clutch in to disengage gears at lights,
but i rarely ride on it.
even still, i thought abuse had no effect on the tob? :shrug:

Is there anything wrong with holding the clutch in and leaving it in 1st gear while at a light?

What about shifting at too low an RPM like say 2000 with 3.08s in the back, what about being in 5th gear and being at like 600-800RPM thus doing about 30-40MPH?

Anything wrong with driving like this?

I threw a NAPA one in mine....Was 10k ago and still silent...It was even plastic!!!

SWYZ721...I hold the clucth in at lights myself....don't think anything of it...on the other had, luggin that motor down like that will surely carbon it up...I'd be romping on it some to keep it cleaned out... :D It saves on petro though...

SWYZ721 said:
Is there anything wrong with holding the clutch in and leaving it in 1st gear while at a light?

What about shifting at too low an RPM like say 2000 with 3.08s in the back, what about being in 5th gear and being at like 600-800RPM thus doing about 30-40MPH?

Anything wrong with driving like this?
For real?
Anything wrong: Yes and Yes.

so there is something wrong with being in 5th and RPMing around 800 going about 30-40 mph? why? i've got that whine, too, and i noticed it AFTER i bought the car. it could very well be my/our driving???

Ram000 said:
so there is something wrong with being in 5th and RPMing around 800 going about 30-40 mph? why? i've got that whine, too, and i noticed it AFTER i bought the car. it could very well be my/our driving???
Lugging around is hard on the motor (bottom end), esp with that little of a rear-gear and the tall 5th gear. The thing is that 30-40 mph is often not smooth, level or all downhill driving - I would not want to lug going uphill, however slight, or while trying to accelerate any amount.

Keeping the pedal in at lights is not really bad but it tends to wear the TOB and PP a bit. It can also take some life off the disk if the adjustement is not spot-on. I just have never done it. Even with motorcycle guys, it is a safety risk not having the bike clutched and in first-gear at lights, but I cant bring myself to do it (wet, multiplate clutches are common on sport bikes). But as you can see, Andy, who is a hugely smart and savvy guy, does it without a second thought. Just a personal thing really.

The lugging is what I would avoid myself - and that is just MHO.

i'm assuming the term "lugging" means when the RPM's are low and the engine is going *chug, chug, chug, chug*? heh.

honestly, i figured i wasn't doing any harm riding in 5th going 30 mpg--guess i'm trying to save all teh gas i can by reving low.

on another note--i gotta get rid of that foken whining!!! that noise is driving me nuts! a friend told me it was the wheel bearing, but i notice it won't whine when the clutch is in. thoughts?

Yeah, running it in 5th gear under 40 is kinda strange w/ stock 2.73's. :shrug:

But I don't have stock gears, so I use 5th now...Unless I am trying to hear my pleasant exhaust note, then it's 4th.

And yeah, I don't get why you would sit with the clutch disengaged. Isn't that annoying, holding the clutch down. Just for that I wouldn't do it. But with our lovely TOB issues, it just makes all the more sense to use the TOB as little as possible.

You did put grease where the pressure plate fingers meet the TOB, right?
Scott