Need To Go Back To Original Exhaust Setup...

ricgt88

Founding Member
Jun 4, 1999
Quebec, Canada
Hey guys,

I'm currently running off road h-pipe with unknown muffler and smog pump delete and want to go back to the original exhaust configuration (cat converters, oxygen sensors, smog, etc)

What parts would I need and what good sounding setup would you recommend?

Can I go back to oxygen sensor without having to reprogram the computer?

• Sponsors (?)

How did you do away with the O2 sensors to begin with? :shrug: That is RARELY ever a good idea.

As far as the exhaust setup is concerned, you can poke around and see if you can find an OEM setup but I think it would much easier to purchase an X or an H pipe with a 3-way cat.

From what I understand, they don't require a smog pump at all. That doesn't mean you couldn't install one if you need to pass a visual smog inspection.

Other visual components would be the charcoal canister, the TAB and TAD solenoids, and the vac lines running to and from.

Don't know what on your car was done away with and what all you still have.

Dr. Gas (if they're still around) used to make OEM style H-pipe replacements for Fox Stangs. I dunno if they still do.

Find out what's required or tell us exactly what you're trying to do and why and we can probably help you out more.

Had my car dynoed last year and the guys found what you could call a 'chip' connected to the computer. They removed it, tuned the car and voila.

Since then, exhaust smell has been really bad and with the car being a convertible, an half hour ride turns you into a stinking old muffler. It even sticks to your tongue :)

Anyways, I want to get rid of my current setup but I'm looking for aftermarket that would sound nice (mufflers and h-x pipe).

Thanks for your help

Had my car dynoed last year and the guys found what you could call a 'chip' connected to the computer. They removed it, tuned the car and voila.

Since then, exhaust smell has been really bad and with the car being a convertible, an half hour ride turns you into a stinking old muffler. It even sticks to your tongue :)

Anyways, I want to get rid of my current setup but I'm looking for aftermarket that would sound nice (mufflers and h-x pipe).

Thanks for your help

Nice... THAT... is a different story. You don't need to piece together an OEM exhaust to clear that up. Get yourself a set of 3-way catalytic converters, have them put in by a shop and voila! You're done!

Or depending on the headers are you running now (long tubes, shorties, or manifollds)... You can go back to a system pretty similar to OEM like:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic_converters/02product/displaydirectfit.asp?directfit=93332

I think that's about as close to stock as you will find unless junk-yard. You would still need a cat-back exhaust.

Something like: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=all&id=4574

...would he a LOT quieter than something like:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=all&id=4581

The first of the two cat-back system will have a pretty good low rumble. The last one is going to be a bit more aggressive. LOL

Don't just look at these though... I happened to be on the Magnaflow site today, looking through a few things. Look at some of the other vendors too. I prefer stainless with life-time warranty. I ended up with Bassani on one of my Fox's and MAC on another. Both sound pretty mean under different circumstances and are wildly different cars with different sounds. The Bassani is a lot more mellow but has a drone at 3000-ish rpm (that I need to work on).