need to put a windshield in, help please

Hello all,

So I bought the 3M 8609 Window-Weld caulk, and the 3M 08610 Window Weld Ribbon Sealer but I don't think I am going to use it. Can anybody tell me what I need to put a new windshield in my 92' coupe. Do they sell the original weatherstripping/seal for these?

Please let me know either way. Thank you.

William Kramer

• Sponsors (?)

when I did mine last year I completely cleaned the windshield frame and used 3M windshield adhesive from Napa. Ribbon is the only way to go dont use black rtv ala Pepboys because its junk. Make sure the ribbon is not stretched out and that its evenly layed out.

when I did mine last year I completely cleaned the windshield frame and used 3M windshield adhesive from Napa. Ribbon is the only way to go dont use black rtv ala Pepboys because its junk. Make sure the ribbon is not stretched out and that its evenly layed out.

Unfortunatley i had to do mine twice, first time i completely removed the ribbon and it leaked, second time around i left the old ribbon and finally had a good seal

I use some stuff at work I put around 3 windshield in a week. I primer the glass and the body wiith a special primer. then I use a caulk gun. I dont think I am suppose to say any brand names...These are brand new cars I do this on and the windows always come out perfect and if you by chance get caulk where you didnt want it you can wipe is off with alcohol. I build these cars for testing purposes

dude say the brand. if you have something that works everytime then by all means feel free to state such.
I dont know off the top of my head if you look on here monday night I will post it and the type of primer I use. I use a electronic caulk gone so I can lay a nice perfect bead. but if you just have a hand caulk gone it should work just as good. the key to laying it on is keep one bead the whole time when you have to lift the gun up (have to switch the tubes) this is where you can get air bubbles and just take a peice of card board and press down where the seperation is then pull up and this will pull the air out. the vehicle I put glass in are prototype vehicles so I need to check fitting before I put the glass in. I would recommend this to avoid having to move the window around once you do the initial set. I measure the window on the top and bottom of the sides and check the driver and passenger side and make sure you are getting the same measurement on each side. so now you have the window set where you want it. put two peices of tape on the top of the body to the glass on each side of car. draw a line down it, then cut the paper between body and glass. now when you go to set it you know exactly where to put it and have it in the first shot...never lift the glass of and try to reset it. this can cause a **** load of air in the urethane. if you need any other info on setting glass let me know