Need to quiet down my xhaust

tendo

May 1, 2003
Ive got bbk shorties, off road h pipe, then basicly straight pipes going out from that. Theres a place on each pipe that looks like a muffler but the previous owner said there was nothing in those places. They were there for the look of the cats. Now what I need is a muffler to make my xhaust quieter. Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

Do they have a bad drone noise while going down the highway? I want it to sound a little different than the avg aftermarket mustang xhaust. Ive got that right now except its waaaaay to loud. I was workin on the 30th floor of a building and when my friend dropped my car off he revved it and I heard it loud and clear even with all the other noises inside(I work construction).

i wouldn't say the only way to quiet it down is to add cats...that's the whole purpose of mufflers to "muffle" the noise...i'd say throw a set of 2 or 3 chambers on there and you'd be good. My GT has FMS Shorties, BBK Off-Road H Pipe and Flowmasters (not sure how many chambers) and it's loud, but not "hear it on the 30th floor" loud I don't think. As for what mufflers to get, head on over to www.mustangxhaust.com and listen to some combos - they have clips of diff. header, mid-pipe and muffler combos...

Mac offers a set of mufflers that supposedly get rid of the drone when not under WOT. Not sure how they work but an older fellow at a car show had them and he said they were great and he said his car sounded quieter than stock when crusing the highway. Maybe he was just old and couldn't hear that good. Maybe I should go to bed.

GATOR98GT said:
... Maybe he was just old and couldn't hear that good. Maybe I should go to bed.

Watch it, you young whipper-snapper. When people get older, they don't go deaf, they just develop their "selective hearing" skills to filter out all the B.S. Your right, it is past your bedtime.

So it has no mufflers at all? Install mufflers, that will cut some of the noise :rolleyes: Seriously though, if you want it to sound good but not as loud as the usual flowmasters, the dynomax super turbos sound pretty good. The magnaflows are queiter too but sound too much like a glasspack to me.