Need to rebuild SMOG pump....

sonny9150

Aug 19, 2008
Maryland
OK I picked up a 91 GT mustang in Ohio. I live in Maryland. I took it to be inspected at a recommended performance shop. The guy calls me today and says, we need to put cats back on BUT your smog pump and pulley have been eliminated. And the hoses are gone.

I found the pump and the pulley online to buy at Latemodel Restoration Supply - Mustang Parts, Chevy Truck Parts & Dodge Challenger Parts. The problem is where do I get all the hoses that were tossed? And how on God's green planet do I put it back together? I am a skilled carpenter not a smog mechanic. BTW the mechanic didn't sound too excited to put it all back together himself? What should I do?

BTW- does anyone know someone in MD,PA, DC or VA that can fix this sort of thing??

GOD BLESS AMERICA
:flag:

Thanks....

• Sponsors (?)

BOOOOOOOOOOO Smog pumps suck! But if you gotta have em, ya gotta have em!

It's not too complicated, I am sure someone on here will chime in. Look up frank-n-stangs on ebay, he should be able to help ya out with the rest

That's when you take the car to another station.

You are going to have to put cats on to pass the sniffer. Nothing you can do about that. What most people do is keep a stock pipe kicking around and swap it before inspection sticker time.

You may pas without the smog pump however.

In MA, if repairs exceed a certain dollar amount, you get a waiver that passes you from emmissions testing. It's like $750 or so. Unsure if other states do this. .

Where did you buy the car from? If it was a dealer, they should be responsible for getting the car to pass and putting the cats and other equipment on.

If it's a private sale, you are SOL. You were aware of the no cats right?

Good news fellas. I found a local guy that can buy a new smog pump and pulley and will install it back to normal. He has some salvage contacts where he can get the parts. Rick and Andy at Maryland Muscle Car in Hagerstown is doing the work I left the car there today and will let everyone know how it turns out.

Watch out for those speed traps! Later...

OK I picked up a 91 GT mustang in Ohio. I live in Maryland. I took it to be inspected at a recommended performance shop. The guy calls me today and says, we need to put cats back on BUT your smog pump and pulley have been eliminated. And the hoses are gone.

I found the pump and the pulley online to buy at Latemodel Restoration Supply - Mustang Parts, Chevy Truck Parts & Dodge Challenger Parts. The problem is where do I get all the hoses that were tossed? And how on God's green planet do I put it back together? I am a skilled carpenter not a smog mechanic. BTW the mechanic didn't sound too excited to put it all back together himself? What should I do?

BTW- does anyone know someone in MD,PA, DC or VA that can fix this sort of thing??

GOD BLESS AMERICA
:flag:

Thanks....

I would go to a junk yard and take a look at the crown vics and any v8 t-birds or cougars, if avalible because I THINK the smog and thermactor systems on the 5.0L engines are the same setup between the 2 platforms. That should give you an idea how things should be installed. I just this past weekend pullled a set of E7 heads from a 93' Tbird and I removed all that thermactor garbage and tossed it into the back seat of the car. I live in Florida so the first thing I did was ditch all that stuff off my Mustang when I got it.