Need Turbo Information

Apr 24, 2014
I have a 5.0 with forged internals, gt40p heads and intake with a 80mm throttlebody and a n41 cam currently, its running 9.5:1 compression which isnt high but i found a twin turbo kit i want to put on it since its a quick power adder without having to stroke it, now I know I'm going to have to change the camshaft again, but with that compression i have to run a higher octance from what i found on the web. now how do i figure out what octane to use, say for 20-25lbs of boost? And how do i time the motor to handle the octane? I am super green to turbos and if im talking crazy please shed some light!! Its much appreciated guys!

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 5.0 with forged internals, gt40p heads and intake with a 80mm throttlebody and a n41 cam currently, its running 9.5:1 compression which isnt high but i found a twin turbo kit i want to put on it since its a quick power adder without having to stroke it, now I know I'm going to have to change the camshaft again, but with that compression i have to run a higher octance from what i found on the web. now how do i figure out what octane to use, say for 20-25lbs of boost? And how do i time the motor to handle the octane? I am super green to turbos and if im talking crazy please shed some light!! Its much appreciated guys!
I can help shed a little light on your problems. 20-25 lbs will be nice. What size turbos? If ou want to stay with lower octane you will need to pick up a methanol injection kit to maximize your peak boost and to help keep from having to retard your timing under higher boost. Most good tuners these days alcan chip your ECU for you to deal with ignition timing so you don't have to worry about it.

I can help shed a little light on your problems. 20-25 lbs will be nice. What size turbos? If ou want to stay with lower octane you will need to pick up a methanol injection kit to maximize your peak boost and to help keep from having to retard your timing under higher boost. Most good tuners these days alcan chip your ECU for you to deal with ignition timing so you don't have to worry about it.
As far as what octane to use.. show up with some 93 in your tank let the guy tune it the best he can and bring some 110 if you feel like upping the boost. Personally I am very pleased with 93 and meth injection. It make a work of difference

Firstly there is no point in going over 14psi on a stock 302 block. It will split right down the middle well before 20psi.

Leave the cam add turbo run 8-12psi and smile. 93 octane keep intake temps below 120*..... timing is a big factor with gt40 heads 8psi 23* total 10psi 21*total 14psi 20*total. Do not retard below 16* total.

Use water/meth if you want added safety. Intake temps will ultimately decide if the engine blows or not below 14psi with safe timing numbers.

In boost run 12:1 AFR.

Welcome to stangnet