neons went out :( help plz

lordmatt

Nov 30, 2003
Neosho, MO
hmmm well...

i just gone finished putting in my underbody neons. everything was hooked up fine, switched them on, they came on and everything. i came home tonight, didn't drive with them on or anything,i got home and was showing my family, i flicked them on and after about 30 seconds... they just went out. the light on my switch is still glowing, i checked my fuse and it's not blown. any idea what happened? oh yeah, and i tried turning on the other lights in my car, everything else is fine. headlights/subs/stereo/etc, all fine. it's just the neons. they are Streetglow Gold Line series. help please

• Sponsors (?)

One of the first things to check when there is a problem with a 12 volt DC product is your grounds. Since they were working and just quit, there could be a problem with the transformer. Make sure you have the wiring grounded to an area that has been cleaned thoroughly, and the paint has been sanded off.

Alan

ok thanks :) one more question though... if it turns out that the ground is fine, what else could the problem be? because i just turned them on again, and they flicked on for a couple seconds and then went off again. would there be any other possible problem?

Sounds more and more like the transformer could be defective. When they go out: are they just snapping right off or do they flicker/dim before going out?

Something tells me the install is ok, but there may be a bad part involved. See if there is any unusual warmth when you touch the transformer, i'm thinking the source of the problem is there.

Alan

It could be a transformer problem. Just for fun, check your connections leading to the transformer. If you used some type of crimp-on connectors, give them a firm tug to see if the connections are tight. A loose fitting could give you the intermittent operation you are seeing.

My suspicion still rests in the transformer... Can you get a replacement easily?

"Edit": Ok, I went and read the installation instructions for the kit you have. It said you are not to use crimp-on connectors, so I assume you didn't. The reasons for intermittent operations seem to be:

transformer is grounded improperly, painted not sanded to bare metal at grounding point.

Neon tube may be cracked, this causes entire kit to act weird.

Poor connections made between transformer and tubes, check them like I stated above.

Alan

i've checked everything, and i'm 99.99% sure it's a transformer problem. there's no other possible thing it could be... i've checked every possible connection, there's nothing wrong with the tubes, etc. etc.... so i'm just going to replace the transformer. thanks for all the help, everyone.