Nervous about installing pullies and t/a

Well I got the steeda parts for x-mas and my friend calls me and tells me that he has a impact wrench to use. Right now I dont know of any other parts that I will need. I'm kind of scared to do the install myself but I am with everything I do. How easy is the install for those who have done it and should I go ahead and do it?

Thanks

Brandon

• Sponsors (?)

bowens99GT said:
Well I got the steeda parts for x-mas and my friend calls me and tells me that he has a impact wrench to use. Right now I dont know of any other parts that I will need. I'm kind of scared to do the install myself but I am with everything I do. How easy is the install for those who have done it and should I go ahead and do it?

Thanks

Brandon

It is really one of the easiest mods to do. Just take your time. you will also need a torque wrench, and a breaker bar is very useful. Pull the car up on ramps so you have access to the top and bottom of the engine. Make sure you follow the insturctions exactly. It can get a little confusing with the different crank bolts, but if you read it carefully you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck and enjoy your new toys.

road rage said:
Your only gonna net about 2hp with the pullies, I would return them and get something else. Just my 2cents. (We tested them on the dyno on a 99GT)

That should make for some interesting conversation - if you have the dyno graphs I'll host them for you. Pullies are one of the most popular mods and I've heard of results from 5-10 RWHP on here.

Thanks,

Jay

yeah 2 hp doesnt sound a bit right. Im with Jay that they net about 5-10. With my t/a I think its about 15 rwhp gain all together.

Back to subject I was reading through install instructions and I see that the alternator and water pump pulleys are EASY to change but the crank is the one I'm concerned about.

edit: Where can I get a puller for the crank pulley? and about how much?

bowens99GT said:
yeah 2 hp doesnt sound a bit right. Im with Jay that they net about 5-10. With my t/a I think its about 15 rwhp gain all together.

Back to subject I was reading through install instructions and I see that the alternator and water pump pulleys are EASY to change but the crank is the one I'm concerned about.

edit: Where can I get a puller for the crank pulley? and about how much?
Sears Craftman for 25 bucks. You can find them cheaper at Autozone or simular but they are Korean and tend to be lesser quality. With Craftsman...if you break it...you can get a new one at no charge no questions.

The install is pretty easy. First, loosen but don't remove, the Alt bolt BEFORE you remove the belt. This helps hold it in place without turning. The water pump is easy. Once you remove the belt, use a cheater bar to break the crank bolt. You will need a big screwdriver or crow bar to hold the crank in place to keep it from turning. Just find a spot to wedge it so it holds tight. Once you remove the bolt attach the crank puller. Make sure you have a wide tip on the spindle or the spindle will just insert itself into the crank and the pulley will not budge.

When installing the crank pulley, heat it in a pot of boiling water for about 15 minutes of longer. Then get some gloves to handle it. The heat expands the metel and makes it easy to slide the new pulley on. Also make sure you put RTV on in the keyway of the pulley key so you will not develop an oil leak.

I think that is all the important points....Hit me up if you run into problems.

road rage said:
Your only gonna net about 2hp with the pullies, I would return them and get something else. Just my 2cents. (We tested them on the dyno on a 99GT)

I second that. Pulleys are probably the most overestimate mod. They did a test with dyno proof in a recent Magazine ( cant remember witch one) and they net 3 RWHP.

Ill put that money on a Mid-Pipe for sure.

Best thing to do when adding parts on your car is to have dyno each time. Only problem, it cost a lot. But you may be surprise at the results

road rage said:

I got 4.5HP and 7.1ft-lbs "at the wheels" from a set of piggybacks. I'd expect another 1/2 or 1hp when I swap the crank pulley to a standalone instead of a piggyback.

I thought they were worth it :shrug:

What about other gains besides peak RWHP?

RWHP over the entire rev range?

Torque peak/over the entire rev range?

There's lots more to power mods than just peak RWHP. :nice:

if you only get 2 hp from it, you will feel every little bit of that 2 hp, I did. I might just be the unlucky one, but the steeda bolt used to "pull" the crank pully on, broke before the pulley was on. I should've known better than to follow the directions. You won't find a service manual that will tell you to use a bolt to pull on a pulley, do yourself a favor and use the side of a mallot to bump the pulley on once you have the keyhole aligned. I had to drill out the bolt (after the easyout broke inside the bolt) and retap the crank to a bigger size bolt= not very fun. Anyway, good luck , have fun. Keep the rubber side down.:flag:

a long time ago in MM&FF or 5.0 i dont remember which they installed Steeda pullies and t/a and got like 15rwhp and 27trq. i think thats BS, and i think that 2hp is bs. i installed both, i didnt change the timeing untell after i test drove with the pullies, i felt a definite difference, the motor pulled stronger 2200 rpm to 5500rpm. i would bet on 5-6rwhp and 4-5trq with the pullies, and 10rwhp and 12rwtq with the combo.

you best bet is to save your money on these little bolt ons here and there that might give you 25-30 more hp for 1000 - 1500 dollars and get the cobra killer kit from tim at t&j performance and put down some real power....... just my .02 cents.