New 18x9 wheels to order. What tires to get?

Oct 4, 2011
My 2000 5 speed GT is going to be due for some new tires soon and I figure I might as well look at new rims as well. I'm looking at going for 18x9 rims. The question is what size tire would look the best and what tire does everyone have the best of luck with as far as durability/handling/road noise/etc...? The car is almost completely stock as of right now and is used as a daily driver. Keep that in mind when making suggestions. I do enjoy twisty roads and the car doesn't see any snow. (I have an suv for that.) I also want to lower it eventually too but that isn't in the cards right now.

Thanks for all suggestions.

• Sponsors (?)

I've got 18x9 and 18x10 chrome Saleen style wheels from American Muscle. They are wrapped in 275/35/18 and 285/35/18 Nitto NT555's. The Nittos have so much more grip than the Hankook Ventus that came off of the old 17's. Prior to the Hankook I had Potenza RE750's... they were nice :nice:

You're going to need an alignment after installing new tires and wheels.... why not go ahead and lower the car now? I went with an Eibach Pro-Kit and used Energy Suspension urethane spring buffers.

I love the way the car handles with its lower center of gravity but it is still tame enough to be comfortable going over speed bumps and road hazards.

If I had to go back and do it again I think I would have left the spring buffers out of the car to get it just a wee bit lower for a more aggressive look. Still, the 18's fill the tire well nicely and I don't have scrubbing issues.

My shocks and struts are Tokico Blue HP's.

I highly recommend you go ahead and lower the car now. You'll enjoy it so much more with the new wheels.