New 5.4L DOHC Intake for Navi heads - Pics Inside!

• Sponsors (?)

kirkyg said:
Why do you think it will take so long?
kirkyg

Because they have 4 versions of the 5.4L DOHC intake they have been working on that is just now finished. Then they have the roots 5.4L DOHC blower intake to prototype, test and put in to production along with the 4.6L DOHC intake they will be coming out with. Then engineering the other parts for the intakes like, fuel rails, elbow to throttle body, alternator relocation bracket to save us the hassle of fabbing our own etc. They also work as Ford engineers (as far I as I know) and race/travel to NMRA races and others, and lastly run Modular Performance. It takes time in itself to run a top notch business with excellent customer service as they do.

I wish I had as much energy as they do! It's like they have 3 jobs going, and they still manage to keep all of their customers happy and deliver top notch service. :nice: to Modular Performance for all the service and parts support!

Regards,
John

DOHC330Mustang said:
The 5.4L DOHC Intakes have shipped to Modular Performance. I expect a week to get to MP, then a week to arrive at my (customers) doorstep. If you haven't ordered, I'd do so this week while the first batch supply lasts! :nice:

Regards,
John :D

:nice: :nice:

DOHC330Mustang said:
The 5.4L DOHC Intakes have shipped to Modular Performance. I expect a week to get to MP, then a week to arrive at my (customers) doorstep. If you haven't ordered, I'd do so this week while the first batch supply lasts! :nice:

Regards,
John :D

Great to hear man. I tried to message you on aim this morning but you didn't respond...

I was wondering when you plan to start putting your engine together and drop it in?

kirkyg

kirkyg said:
Great to hear man. I tried to message you on aim this morning but you didn't respond...

I was wondering when you plan to start putting your engine together and drop it in?

kirkyg

I'm still waiting on some new valvesprings to come out along with it's matching pieces, (locks, retainers, etc) so when I get the rest of it, the heads will go to Total Engine Airflow (TEA) in KY and the shortblock will be assembled by a local shop here in TN. I'm still unsure of when Modular Performance is going to have the springs out at the moment.

Sorry I missed your AIM.. I had left my PC on AOL but had the window minimized to the bottom of the screen and didn't see it until you were offline. I run comcast with AOL broadband piggy back. lol I was using Internet Explorer to brows the Internet.

It's ok about the aim thing. I was sure you were probably afk or something.

I thought you were talking to that guy on corral or modularfords about gettin those other spring setup with titanium locks/retainers? What is special about the ones coming out vs whats already available? I know your probably getting impatient with all these parts laying around and not able to get that baby in and running.

kirkyg

kirkyg said:
It's ok about the aim thing. I was sure you were probably afk or something.

I thought you were talking to that guy on corral or modularfords about gettin those other spring setup with titanium locks/retainers? What is special about the ones coming out vs whats already available? I know your probably getting impatient with all these parts laying around and not able to get that baby in and running.

kirkyg

I already had the whole ModMax valvespring kit with Ti-retainers. We found out they had yet another bad batch of springs (not shot peened) so MP took them back no questions asked and stopped carrying ModMax springs altogether. They told me they have a reputable place (probably Manley or CompCams) designing springs, retainers and locks for the DOHC heads, so I decided to wait it out and see what they have.

My only other options for a DOHC that I know of are SHM double valvespring kit. With ti-retainers, that's about $2,200 I think for a DOHC. Also, if I go SHM, then I can't use my Ferrea valves, but with the Modular Performance stuff I will be able to use them.

Look What Santa (UPS) Brought Me!

WooHoo!!!!!!!!! It's here! My 5.4L DOHC EFI Spyder Intake! :hail2: :nice: :cheers:

intake+1.jpg

intake+2.jpg

intake+3.jpg

intake+4.jpg

Big thanks to Modular Performance for bringing this intake out and solving all our problems! :hail2: :nice: :cheers:

man this is sweet. so the engine itself is 2500$ (used),3700$(new). found navi heads for 850$/each. from there what else is needed? efi, either tec 3, FAST, or from a cobra correct? exhaust manifolds/headers will need some massaging. anything else? if thats all then doesnt seem to bad, or too expensive. as far as supercharging who cares, i can run nitrous until cobra killer makes one or go with a turbo. what components did I miss? sounds almsot too good to be true. :nice:

Yes the swap doesn't appear to be too bad...i can't wait till a couple of these guys get dynos. Basically you have to bend an a/c cable which is obviously no biggie, the intake problem is now addressed (atleast for n/a applications), Its close but a direct fit, Youll still need ATLEAST a cobra R hood and possibly a tubular k-member to drop the engine another 1-2 inches in the engine bay. Like you said you'll need to get a cobra exhaust manifold and shafe the flange a little (not to big of a deal)...did i miss anything? Wiring harness should be a direct fit from GT or cobra setup and computer will also work interchangeably.

dohc330, did you order the fuel rales they have now for the spider intake or you waiting? Is there anything else you need to get the intake part working properly?

Some things i've been wondering is how does the 5.4L australian and cobra R setup have 390hp. That would equate to 330-340 rwhp. Is it all in the intake or also with the cam profile or what? The navigator 5.4L supposedly basically the same heads but just breath better put out out pretty miserable power. I just want to make sure that its worth the swap n/a before i go supercharger on top.

turbo + 5.4L would be wicked power...and so will a twin screw + 5.4L. Thats the idea.

kirkyg

97predator said:
man this is sweet. so the engine itself is 2500$ (used),3700$(new). found navi heads for 850$/each. from there what else is needed? efi, either tec 3, FAST, or from a cobra correct? exhaust manifolds/headers will need some massaging. anything else? if thats all then doesnt seem to bad, or too expensive. as far as supercharging who cares, i can run nitrous until cobra killer makes one or go with a turbo. what components did I miss? sounds almsot too good to be true. :nice:

If you have navigator heads you probably can go to a junk yard and buy a crapped out motor and rip everything off to use the block. I plan to look for a good condition junk yard navigator motor. If you think about it you really dont need to buy the almost new engines. Your going to end up building the internals of the engine anyway in most cases...so whats the point? If the rods are damaged etc. it wont matter they are being replaced.

I would like to see someone writeup a comprehensive list with price ranges for all internals for this swap. That will help people see the total cost for gettin this setup running with this intake.

kirkyg

kirkyg said:
I would like to see someone writeup a comprehensive list with price ranges for all internals for this swap. That will help people see the total cost for gettin this setup running with this intake.

kirkyg

If you compare prices on www.modularperformance.com the rods cost the same as 4.6 rods, pistons cost the same, forged cobra and forged Navi cranks cost the same (dealer will try to rip you for $750, but the don't pay over $550), heads take the same valvetrain as a cobra DOHC - so same cost if you were building with Ferrea, Crower, Comp etc.

Pretty much the same cost folks. Like I said before, the extra cost here is mainly because your buying every part to build this engine. If you had a 4.6L DOHC Cobra, you'd buy rods, pistons, bearings, ARP bolts/studs, and billet oil pump gears with some good valve train and be done. With the 5.4L DOHC your building it from scratch (block, heads, crank, intake etc).

Happy Holidays!
John

I edited this in, 5.4L pistons have a different Compression Height. I was told around -0.118. Make sure you buy pistons with the correct Compression Height for your 5.4L or you will have even lower CR. Like a -17cc would be 8.5:1 on a 4.6L DOHC, but on the 5.4L that would be around 8.2:1 CR

Happy Holidays!
John