New addition - Maintenance Advice?

FedRich

Jan 27, 2004
Brevard Co., FL
Hello all. 94_Teal_GT was kind enough to invite me over from the Crownvic.net forums. I recently picked up a 94 GT convertible. It has close to 153,000 miles on it. I have no clue about it's maintenance history. What should I inspect/replace/repair to start fresh with this Stang? I know I need new brakes and the rotors turned (if they can be). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks to 94_Teal_GT for his advice :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Check on any recalls that have been performed or, that have not been performed.

New plugs
msd wires
blaster coil
rotor cap(oem)

change all fluids
-tranny flush
-brake fluid
-bleed the brakes
-oil change)duh! :D

fuel filter change. Very cheap and easy to do yourself also.

What are your plans in the future for the car and what kind of budget are you on?

Congrats. :nice:

Also,
The air intake, for around $2X.XX, you can make one yourself. Get rid of the air filter/silencer on it. You also have a 25lb weight on the car, unless it was removed. Have to ask the vert owners where it is located and how to remove it.

EDIT!! There is a thread on the first page on "dog bone weight." That is the thread about the 25lb weight on your car.

Thanks for the suggestions. Didn't know about the weight. My plan is to make this a nice cruiser. Short term is too get it in good mechanical condition. Long term, new rims (Bullitts), new exhaust from the headers back, and some of the usual HP increasers (air intake, pulleys, maybe a new intake manifold). My budget is limited right now to some of the things you mentioned. Thanks again.

Take a peek at the O2 sensors, if they're real black and coated, replace to improve gas mileage and idle. The computer allows the engine to run better when O2's are in good shape.

As stated above, change/flush/fill all fluids. I'd flush/fill coolant and while you're at it, replace all cooling hoses and main belt.

Check for leaking around differential. Mine leaked around 100,000 so I bought ramps, new gasket, diff fluid, and friction modifier. Basic tools needed, nothing special. Took about an hour to complete. Very easy. My old fluid looked very different from the new stuff that went in, so I guess it was a good service to perform.

I'd also look at subframe connectors ASAP, if they're not already there. I don't know much about verts, but if you don't have subs, get them. Reduces (may stop) squeaks and will improve handling. Cheap mod that saves the frame or at least deters further wear.

An odd item, but check out your mufflers. My stock mufflers were blackening pretty bad at around 90,000 miles. I'm sure others may have lasted longer, but just a simple muffler change improved the sound (flows). Needed to replace them anyways and just replacing the mufflers (not a full catback) was the cheapest method.

Good luck!!!

punestang said:
Also,

EDIT!! There is a thread on the first page on "dog bone weight." That is the thread about the 25lb weight on your car.

No, that is not the same thing. The dog bone and the convertible weight are two different things. The 25lb weight is located on the pass side of the car in front of the tire up in the wheel well. The easiest way to see it is to get under the car and look up right behind the fog light and into the inner fender... its the big black thing marked "caution 25lbs" on it. Its a pain to remove.

FedRich said:
Hello all. 94_Teal_GT was kind enough to invite me over from the Crownvic.net forums. I recently picked up a 94 GT convertible. It has close to 153,000 miles on it. I have no clue about it's maintenance history. What should I inspect/replace/repair to start fresh with this Stang? I know I need new brakes and the rotors turned (if they can be). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks to 94_Teal_GT for his advice :nice:
Hey buddy!:nice: Glad to see ya made it over here.

:doh: Can't believe I forgot to tell you to check the balancer. That's a biggie! Good advice Killercanary.

I noticed nothing adverse from the loss of the weight, many have done it I've never seen anyone have a problem after doing so.

94_teal_gt: Its amazing how bad of a problem the balancer is. I replaced mine last year with a factory ford one... and its wobbling again.

Killercanary said:
94_teal_gt: Its amazing how bad of a problem the balancer is. I replaced mine last year with a factory ford one... and its wobbling again.

Mine went bad on me last year as well. I ordered a Pioneer(?) balancer from Holcomb but they shipped a FRPP one instead.:shrug: I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

Isn't that 25lb weight just to help eliminate cowl shake on the verts?

I didn't think the vert weight was hard at all to remove...strange..
Guys, do you think its a good idea to remove the dogbone weight? I hear some people say they did it and have no problems and some do it and it causes bad vibrations and stuff...thanks..

David R said:
punestang...when you say the blaster coil....does it really help much.

I did all the MSD cap, rotor, and wires, but I never thought of that. :shrug:

Thanks

When it was time to upgrade some of the electrical(maintenance), I chose MSD because of everyone's opinion on it.

I also wanted to match products with eachother.