new and just got a new stang gt

tstang21

Apr 14, 2008
hi. im new to the mustang world. i just purchased a 94 gt. runs good but needs a tune up like plug/wires,cap. i got for a good price though. has a few minor mishaps. the seats are not moving. (could be the motor), and speedo/odometer stopped working. i might need to get a new cable. overall the car is in good shape. if anyone could give some help, will appreciate.

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The speedo/odometers don't work via cable on our cars, they run via the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) on the transmission. But first, I would check all the fuses under the dash. You likely have a couple of blown fuses that are keeping your cluster lights and seat from working.

One step at a time, let's get the simple things working first.

do a search for odometer and you'll find some posts regarding the R&R of the odometer gear. It also has the place you can order them from somewhere in those posts.

The dash light issue sounds like a fuse...grab a test light and poke each side of each fuse...both sides should light up. If not then you have a blown fuse. Or you could just find out which fuse powers the dash illumination and go straight for the fuse.

The seats could also be not moving because of a blown fuse. Chances are your motor's toast though. A blown fuse is kinda like turning a light switch that powers several outlets off.

Fuse 13 is the dimmer circuit.
There's an underhood fuse for the pwr seat and accessory outlets. If yours is blown, look for change (coins) inside one of the cig lighter receptacles. This causes a short.

Welcome and good luck!

the car itself has 95,xxx miles. black exterior with few scratches but no dents, tan interior in great shape, alarm, and upgraded stereo. the rest of the car is bone. no mods or nothing. clean engine bay. the only thing it has a short throw shifter.

i know this problem could be very easy to fix but i want to try for myself . for the VSS sensor, im not sure where its located exactly. im assuming i could check for any voltage thats going through. could it be that it has a bad grounding or does it have a blown fuse that linked to the wires ?

i know this problem could be very easy to fix but i want to try for myself . for the VSS sensor, im not sure where its located exactly. im assuming i could check for any voltage thats going through. could it be that it has a bad grounding or does it have a blown fuse that linked to the wires ?

There isn't a fuse for the VSS that I know of. You could have a stripped gear on the VSS (plastic gear), a bad VSS itself, or a wiring problem. I had a loose wire in the harness connector, caused my speedometer to bounce and sometimes cut out. I believe the VSS is a blue sensor closest to the back end of the tranny. It sticks out a couple of inches or so, should be easy to see. It's held in by one bolt, then it wiggles free. If doesn't need to be calibrated to anything, it's ok to remove.

You can disconnect the sensor and hook up the electrical connectors to a digital multimeter, then spin the VSS by hand. The voltage should change. If it doesn't, the VSS is bad. If it does, and the plastic gear isn't stripped, you have a short in the wiring.