New and looking for help on my 1994 v8 swap

Farmstad

Jun 30, 2021
Canada
Hi new here but came here times before for helpful tips that showed up on google. Anyways I bought a 1994 v6 5 speed mustang that had a broken head gasket and I planned on fixing it, well one thing lead to another and now I am doing a 5.0L swap.
The first questions that I have run into is are the ac compressors the same between the two I have noticed that the little computer underneath the air filter is different and it looks like the connectors to the compressor are different (or at least one of the two looked a bit different)
Another question I have is how much off the harness do I need to change I think that I will only need to change it from the ecu to the place it goes over the radiator but please tell me if I am wrong I have the entire harness for the car so.
My final question is what is different about the smog equipment I know it’s for emissions and I think it’s in the driver fender but that’s about all I know.

Thanks who ever read this all the way through, hope you can help me and happy to be here.

• Sponsors (?)

@SorsCode thanks that’s that very helpfull! But might also need some help with some specific stuff.
@revhead347 lol I’m too young for that but that would be sick

To LS swap a V6 Mustang, there is an entire internet of information, to 302 swap a V6 Mustang, it's basically just sorscode.com. Yes, he did the swap himself, and documented it like a good Samaritan.

Kurt

I see I will have to look more into his website then
I’ve done this swap over 30 times. That is why I documented it specifically for the 94/95. I ran a small business where you’d drop the car off at 8am and pick it up at 5pm same day and it would be 100% swapped. I’ve done it on 96+ as well. I’ll do my best to respond quickly but over the next few days I might be delayed as I’m doing a long need vacation even though it’s staying home.

• Loved It!
Reactions: 1 users
I've done the swap once, 94 V6 auto to a Cobra V8 manual. So I can simply agree with @SorsCode and show that he is a genius. :D

@Farmstad, this job would be much easier if you have a donor car so you can get all the little brackets and bolts that you'll need. If not, you may be hunting your local junkyards or eBay.

Not sure about the AC compressor, I had a complete engine to swap over. You can re-use the harness that runs over the radiator and eventually ends up at he fuse box, BUT if your V6 didn't have ABS the plugs may be different. My donor Cobra was in a wreck and the fuse box was crushed, so I had to splice my harnesses together.

The only thing in the passenger fender you can keep is the charcoal canister. It takes gas fumes from the tank and stores them until the computer can relese them into the intake. The V6 doesn't have the vacuum- activated solenoids that the V8 needs, so you'll need to get them. Overall, all the emissions parts are different between the V6 and V8. The one exception is the charcoal canister.

Air compressor is the same, you will just need the v8 lines that go to the compressor. I’ll be around to answer questions and help you out. Luckily the 94/95s were maxed wired typically, so makes life easier. My list is a complete list, I have the wiring sadly memorized. I’ll ask more details on Tuesday.

example, can repurpose your transmission harness. Either removing the loom and pulling the O2 sensors, to clean it up, besides that no repinning. I can also make any harnesses you need (sadly I’m like everyone else and waiting on wire and connectors).

Well I have the whole V8 harness down to the power seats and I believe every part I need. Not to mention every part, connector and bolt is labeled thanks to the engine that I bought it from pulling it from the car and then labeling it with tape and pen. Sadly I don’t have the parts car but from my research I thing I have every part I need (I know I will be missing something though ha). I will be back in a bit to continue on my swap and to ask more questions but I am gonna relax on vacation for now:cool:.

Reactions: 1 users
Well I have the whole V8 harness down to the power seats and I believe every part I need. Not to mention every part, connector and bolt is labeled thanks to the engine that I bought it from pulling it from the car and then labeling it with tape and pen. Sadly I don’t have the parts car but from my research I thing I have every part I need (I know I will be missing something though ha). I will be back in a bit to continue on my swap and to ask more questions but I am gonna relax on vacation for now:cool:.
Just remember use my parts list as your map. I'm following this thread so I should get notifications when you respond now. Enjoy vacation.

Hey it’s me again was not planing on having this much of a break from my project but life happens, anyways I have another question at the moment. Since I don’t have the longer ac lines at the moment is there a way I can get a different belt if I don’t have any ac compressor on or can I just put the compressor on with no lines and block up the lines to keep the dust out. Oh also I just remembered I a pretty sure the clutch cable is longer but the throttle and cruse control (the whole cruse control system) is the same between the v6 and the v8 right? Thanks for the help and it looks like my summer project is now a winter one.

You can run a shorter belt (See Below). I don't take any credit for the image, Its been floating around on StangNet and other forums for a long time.

Clutch cable is the same, Throttle and Cruise control cables are different, but the cruise control system between the v6 & v8 are the same. If you review my parts list on my site, you will see I only list the cable for the cruise control, not the whole system.

94-95_Mustang_Belt_Routing.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
It has been a long time but got car up and running a couple months ago now just waiting to get tires and exhaust. I just have three questions now. First is I found a little gray connector by the fuse box under the hood and wondering what it is for. The ac? The car ran without it so I didn’t really worry about it at the time. Second are the up stream o2 censors the same for the gt and the v6? I know the v8 only has upstream ones. And finally could I get an explanation on the differences of 8.8 lsd rear ends? I know that the 94-98 would be the easiest to swap over but could I use just the carrier with the 27 spline (or what ever the mustang has) from some other car like and escape? I am not wanting to swap over rear ends yet as 2.73 gears will probably be nice with gas prices and I will drive the 7.5 till it breaks but would like to learn about it. Thanks if someone can help me out! (Hope the picture of the connector sent)

Attachments

• 2DB52267-7A53-420E-89F9-5757F1262157.jpeg
    2DB52267-7A53-420E-89F9-5757F1262157.jpeg
    399.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 431929E7-70C7-4473-9D77-990FC15DBAD0.jpeg
    431929E7-70C7-4473-9D77-990FC15DBAD0.jpeg
    366.8 KB · Views: 34
Responding via mobile so hope I answer all your questions

Grey/Gray connector is for testing your windshield wiper fluid pump.

Oxygen Sensors are different.

Find an 8.8 out of an 87-93 Mustang GT. Take your axles and brakes and swap them over to the 8.8 and you will be good. The 87-98 housings are all the same. The difference was axles, axle plate for the brakes and brakes. The 7.5 and 8.8 used the same axles so that’s why you can use your axles and since your pulling your axles you just also swap the brake stuff over.

Wow that was quick. Huh really thought I could use my v6 o2 censors because they have the same 4 wires and same pattern. And is it just the easiest to find a fox body or sn95 (not 1999 and up) 8.8 and swap the axels if it’s a fox body? I thought I could find a lsd housing and put in my axels and it might work. I am probably wrong. Thanks for the help again by the way

Wow that was quick. Huh really thought I could use my v6 o2 censors because they have the same 4 wires and same pattern. And is it just the easiest to find a fox body or sn95 (not 1999 and up) 8.8 and swap the axels if it’s a fox body? I thought I could find a lsd housing and put in my axels and it might work. I am probably wrong. Thanks for the help again by the way
No the only other 8.8 that would work is a TurboCoupe.