New Best NA Auto Combo

Kurt2002 said:
You can not brake stall a converter to its stall speed, only way to get 4K is with a transbrake. Footbraking it I can get about 2500 rpm before the wheels start to spin. That is my whole point, with a transbrake and launch at stall rpm 4K I should easily get low 12's. Footbraking killing me right now.
Yeah, I can only foot brake to 2k on the street and about 22-2400 at the track. What do u run launching from idle? My times didnt really change from idle or footbrake...idle launch doesnt spin the tires, but footbraking does if I dont get it right.

• Sponsors (?)

Yea, I wish I could foot brake all the way to stall! But the biggest improvement by foot braking that low is the flash stall! Basically the converter is electronically controlled by the computer! Under WOT the converter won't lock up until its designed stall range! Basically it will engage before its lock up if the WOT tables aren't engaged. Also the stall will vary depending on engine tq, hp and rpm speeds! I.E. if you have a 3200 stall and your engine only produces 220 hp it might lock up at 2800 or 3000 rpm where as if you have 300 hp it may lock up at 3400 or higher. Kinda like a sling shot effect! Thats why it is always good to get a converter based upon your set up and hp/tq ratings!

"ED"

Yellow2002GT said:
Yea, I wish I could foot brake all the way to stall! But the biggest improvement by foot braking that low is the flash stall! Basically the converter is electronically controlled by the computer! Under WOT the converter won't lock up until its designed stall range! Basically it will engage before its lock up if the WOT tables aren't engaged. Also the stall will vary depending on engine tq, hp and rpm speeds! I.E. if you have a 3200 stall and your engine only produces 220 hp it might lock up at 2800 or 3000 rpm where as if you have 300 hp it may lock up at 3400 or higher. Kinda like a sling shot effect! Thats why it is always good to get a converter based upon your set up and hp/tq ratings!

"ED"
Thx...after reading how some guys are using 3600-4000 stalls, wish I would have gotten it higher, but it does take off like a muther as is. My friends say stalling it a bit higher will net me about a .1 or .2 better e.t.s. I think Ill just leave it for now as Im getting vt stage 2's soon. Anyway, you make auto gts proud.:nice:

big T said:
Yeah, I can only foot brake to 2k on the street and about 22-2400 at the track. What do u run launching from idle? My times didnt really change from idle or footbrake...idle launch doesnt spin the tires, but footbraking does if I dont get it right.

Idle launching net pretty much the same ET with a little higher 60ft (1.74-1.76) Footbraking nets me the best 60ft and ET.

A transbrake locks first gear and reverse gear together until you release the button. This way you can achieve your true stall speed.

Cool...can't wait to see the results! I changed my shift points also and picked up about .1 sec and gained a full 1.5 mph in the 1/4.....seems like it needed it on the 2-3 shift! Can't wait to hit the track also....just got some new toys.....(poly motor and trans mounts.....level 2 rebuild on tranny with stage 3 shift kit......steeda uca's......full tubular upr k-member, arms, coil overs, and steeda plates, canton windage tray, and steeda full length subs. Looking to run 7.9's on 17 in rims with stock cams!!! Best before these mods was 1.71 60 and 8.22 @ 83 1/8th and 12.99 1/4 @ 102! Should have her all together in the next week or two....I need cams! lol

GOOD LUCK!

"ED"

Yellow2002GT said:
Cool...can't wait to see the results! I changed my shift points also and picked up about .1 sec and gained a full 1.5 mph in the 1/4.....seems like it needed it on the 2-3 shift!
"ED"

How much did you raise it to gain a .1? You stated "seems like it needed it on the 2-3 shift" do you mean my car or your car?

Kurt2002 said:
How much did you raise it to gain a .1? You stated "seems like it needed it on the 2-3 shift" do you mean my car or your car?

Well I meant all Auto mustangs really....at what mph does your car shift into
3rd....???? Mine shifts at 72 mph now...before it shifted into 3rd at 68....made a huge difference in mph gain in the 1/8th and 1/4......gained 1.5 in the 1/8th and almost 2.5mph in the 1/4! At 105 outside temp I ran as fast as I did last fall at 55 deg! 13.01@ 104.5 now! Before the adjustment in cooler air it went 12.99@102 and the DA was 2300 ft lower then too! I have a new tranny going in on the 2nd....basically a full rebuild with alto bands and kevlar OD band and a stage III shift set up instead of the stage II. I know with a higher stall you don't feel the gear shift as much but with the right valve body adjustment it should be alot stouter! My tranny guy said it should knock off 1 to 2 tenths with the firmer shift! The 4r70W has alot of potential and can handle the RPM's......Check your dyno Graph and set your 2-3 shift @ .5 above your highest hp reading! You will definately be surprised!

"ED"

Great run Kurt! What was your 1/8th time and mph? My last run about 3 weeks ago was 13.03@ 103.61 with a 8.30 1/8th at 83.01......had a 1.79 60ft but the DA was 2700ft and temp was 104 deg outside! with mid 50 deg weather and da around 1000 i should hit 12.7 to 12.8! I just installed a new tranny (level II), steeda aluminum UCA's, Poly Urethane motor and trans mounts, new exhaust set up and a full tubular front end! Gonna hit the track on Saturday if the rain doesn't hit! Hopeing for 12.8's @ 105! Damn I need a set of cams.......LOL

"ED"