New Best Times

sneaky98gt

10 Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
NC State University
12.57 @ 109.53 mph. Track was Rockingham Dragway. DA was 400 feet.

1022734.jpg

The track was very green and everyone was having problems hooking. I went 12.7x at 107.9-108.5 with a 1.89-1.92 short time almost every other pass. It finally hooked a little better on one run and ran the time above. It has gone as good as 1.82 in the 60, so with better weather and track, it's probably got 12.4s in it. However, I doubt better weather will happen on the same weekend as a TnT at a good track. I suspect this was the best this car will ever go in its current trim. I'm pretty happy with it. Next up, gears, more boost, and meth.

Here's a vid of a 12.73 run today. I got a lot more videos, but my internet upload is super slow, so it'll be tomorrow before I get most of the videos up.

YouTube - 12 Second Pass in a Supercharged 98 Mustang GT

• Sponsors (?)

12.57 @ 109.53 mph. Track was Rockingham Dragway. DA was 400 feet.

1022734.jpg

The track was very green and everyone was having problems hooking. I went 12.7x at 107.9-108.5 with a 1.89-1.92 short time almost every other pass. It finally hooked a little better on one run and ran the time above. It has gone as good as 1.82 in the 60, so with better weather and track, it's probably got 12.4s in it. However, I doubt better weather will happen on the same weekend as a TnT at a good track. I suspect this was the best this car will ever go in its current trim. I'm pretty happy with it. Next up, gears, more boost, and meth.

Here's a vid of a 12.73 run today. I got a lot more videos, but my internet upload is super slow, so it'll be tomorrow before I get most of the videos up.

YouTube - 12 Second Pass in a Supercharged 98 Mustang GT

That's pretty bad ass right there. Can't wait till May to install mine and tune it...I'm gonna run a novi 1000rr at 10 psi with mhs blower cams and a snow performance meth kit.....that should take care of the npi haters.

DA is short for density altitude//basically the lower the number (or in negatives even) the better for racing.

Good looking pass Will :nice: no wheel spin and the car just goes.

DA is short for density altitude//basically the lower the number (or in negatives even) the better for racing.

Not to hijack but is DA determined by temp, altitude, or .. ? I mean how much does it effect a car. Could he have gone faster, or how much faster with say a 200 DA vs 400 DA.

Sry sneaky98gt won't steal your spotlight again

That's pretty bad ass right there. Can't wait till May to install mine and tune it...I'm gonna run a novi 1000rr at 10 psi with mhs blower cams and a snow performance meth kit.....that should take care of the npi haters.

Thanks man! Yea, I actually surprised a couple of guys today when I told them I was still on stock NPI heads, stall and auto tranny, and 3.27 rear gears.

Nice!

I see high 11's in your future. By the way, I know this a noob question but what is DA?

Gears, 3 more pounds of boost, meth, and a retune would put me in the 11s if I had the traction. Gonna be iffy.

Thanks man! :nice: It left really solid that run because I launched at a little lower rpm. I had that problem all day. Launch at 1500 and it was a nice, beautiful, no wheel spin launch that got me about a 1.89 60'. Next run, I'd decide to bump it up and leave at 1700 and it'd spin like a mofo. Went back and forth like that several times. Never could get it dialed in. This was the first day this year that this track was open, so I didn't expect it to hook but so well. The track crew were really working hard laying down VHT and a decent amount of drag cars laid down some rubber, but it was still really inconsistent.

Overall, I was VERY happy that I ran a 12.50 pass. That was my goal for the day, so I can't complain one bit. I overtook the fastest 1/4 time in my school's drag strip club by .01, so I'm pretty happy about that, too. :D

Not to hijack but is DA determined by temp, altitude, or .. ? I mean how much does it effect a car. Could he have gone faster, or how much faster with say a 200 DA vs 400 DA.

Sry sneaky98gt won't steal your spotlight again

No worries, bro. The DA is determined by a combination of altitude, temp, humidity and barometric pressure. I use this calculator; it normally will retrieve the weather data for you, but for some reason as of late, it won't do that. So I've had to manually look up the weather data (weather underground) and enter it in.

DA affects every car differently, depending on how much power it's making, forced induction or NA, etc. General rule of thumb is .1 and 1 mph for every 1000 feet of DA. So on most cars, you will not notice the difference in a couple hundred feet of DA.

I'm really meticulous about keeping up with time slips and DA and all that, and I gain around .2 and 2.5 mph for every 1000 feet of DA. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the reason I notice such a difference is the fact that my blower is non-intercooled. A non-intercooled blower is much more affected by temperature and humidity.

You are going to be impressed once you get your future mods installed and dialed in!

I hope so. Whatever happened to your 98 GT? Weren't you supercharging it or something at one point?

Congrats, Will! BMOC!

Thanks, Mark! :nice:

i just calced the d/a at the track by my place and got this
Density Altitude: -854 feet
Relative Density: 102.52 %

I really should hit the track lol.

Nice! You should definitely go. I'd LOVE to run at a well-prepped track with a -1000 feet DA.

I wish my car took off like that.... lol i just look like tokyo drift

Haha. You should wait until you see the CTS-V that was down there. I got several videos of him that are uploading right now. That sucker was NASTY!

the problem with going to the track for me is i would need to purchase a helmet, and im a student so my budget is kinda tight :(. Track pass+ helmet+ breaking something= bad day for me and loss of transport to and from college and work.

the problem with going to the track for me is i would need to purchase a helmet, and im a student so my budget is kinda tight :(. Track pass+ helmet+ breaking something= bad day for me and loss of transport to and from college and work.

I gotcha. I'm on a budget as well, and I would hate for something to break, but I do have means to fix it and vehicles to drive while it's down. Thank God for a grandfather who loves Mustangs as much as I do. :D (He's got three that I can drive anytime).

Here's the compilation video. Enjoy! (in HD)

YouTube - Rockingham Test-n-Tune 2/26/2011

I hope so. Whatever happened to your 98 GT? Weren't you supercharging it or something at one point?

I pretty much gave it to a friend that had high hopes for the car; pretty sure it'll be receiving a nice 5.0 shortly. I had a nice combo for the car as well but just lacked the time to really do anything with it. At the time I was working full-time and going to class 5 days a week as well so wasn't able to give it any love.

I could see myself getting a sn95 as a toy later on down the road though :)