new clutch making noise-NEED HELP

levs302

Sep 24, 2006
MA
I just put a new clutch, flywheel, and throwout bearing into my 95GT. Over this past weekend I put about 500 miles on the car for its break-in period. I kept the car under 2000rpms the whole time.

On the way home from work I took the rpm's up to about 2600 and there is a slight rattling noise that increases with rpms.

My first thought was that I knocked the TOB off of its guide rails when muscleing the tranny back in (had to install bell housing and tranny seperately because of limited tools and doing the whole project on jackstands). However, I looked in through the hole where the clutch fork shield is and the TOB looks like it is in the right place.

What would be the next thing to check?

Thanks for the help

• Sponsors (?)

Does the noise change if you slightly depress the clutch pedal?

It seems to get a little louder when I depress the pedal to shift. Although some of that could be contributed to the car not being as loud when not under load (my exhaust is pretty loud) and I can just hear it better. I will listen closer on the way to work this morning.

Did you adjust your clutch cable tension? With the stock adjuster this can be accomplished by pulling the clutch pedal aft toward the drivers seat then pushing it to the floor.

Yes. I pulled the clutch pedal towards me then depressed it multiple times. It clicked every time for the first 25 or so times I depressed it. It still clickes from time to time as I press the pedal to shift. Is that normal?

No it is not normal, the 25 times it took to adjust is not normal either. You Your crap plastic OEM adjuster id worn. Give Lethal Performance a call and get a Fiore quadrant setup. They are the best of the best and Lethal now owns the rights. 1-877-2lethal Keep the OEM cable, all other are crap!!!

Hissn - ran across this thread in a search because I'm having issues w/ difficult shifts also. The previous owner installed new T5, King Cobra clutch and flywheel 6 months ago, so I imagine it's just an adjustment issue. There is, however a "fast chirping" noise when I let off the clutch and it does change when I slightly depress the clutch. You mentioned that symptom, what does that point to? Thanks, and sorry for hijacking the thread.

Thanks RJ. The T5 is 6 months new, is the TO bearing something that would have been replaced with it or is it separate? Like I said, based on intermittent difficulty in shifting, and a very stiff clutch I think I need to adjust the cable but I wasn't sure if the noise was related. Thanks again. Where are you stationed btw?

I never saw this thread since my original post. :Doh:

A lot of TOBs out there suck. If you have a little slack in the cable right now, I'd set your cable adjustment to zero lash and see how the noise is.

Good luck.

Alright, I'm feeling a little retarded right now.... I read a tech article on how to adjust the cable, but it doesn't seem to be doing any good. By pulling back on the clutch then pressing it in, I'm not getting a click or seeing any change. I tried to look under and manually set the adjustment but ran into a problem there as well. The article says there should be a hook in front of the metal tab that the quadrant hits on the downward stroke. There's no hook on mine, just the tab. Behind the tab is something that is spring loaded that I can push down on. Not really sure where to go from here as far as adjustment. Only thing I can see is a nut at the top of the quadrant where the cable attaches.
As far as the chirping, it does it even when the car is in neutral. If I put slight pressure on the clutch, the noise changes.

Ok, so I got a mirror and flashlight under there and saw "Jegs" stamped right on the quadrant :doh: Looked on the website and found the firewall adjustment directions. Couldn't be easier.
No luck on the noise though, I'll do some research on the TO bearing now.
Thanks for your patience guys, almost wish I would have waited for a stock fox. Oh well.