New Control Arm VS Replace Bushings & Ball Joint

• Sponsors (?)

I'd purchase new control arms. I think by the time I was done running them around to somebody with a press for the ball joints/ bushings...and/or beating them in/out myself if I were to get my vise mounted, I'd look back and wish I'd just bought them.

Removing and installing the bushings is a pain. I did it without taking them to anyone, but it was a much bigger job them I gave it credit. If you are going to replace the old bushings with factory style I'd just buy the new control arm and call it good.

I'd purchase new control arms. I think by the time I was done running them around to somebody with a press for the ball joints/ bushings...and/or beating them in/out myself if I were to get my vise mounted, I'd look back and wish I'd just bought them.
How about those rear upper control arms? I'm thinking of just getting the bushings for $50 vs $200 for new arms. I can rent that bushing removal kit and give that a try. I imagine the uppers are a much easier job vs lowers

You can pick up a set of new factory style rear upper control arms for $100.

What kind of new rear uppers were you looking at getting? For the front control arms I ended up using a sawz all to cut out the old bushings. Had to be careful not to cut the control arm. Then used a ball joint removal tool that I rented from a local parts house to put the new bushings in. I had a vice that I was able to clamp the control arm in. If I hadn't had that it would have been a much harder job. The ball joint tool that I rented came from Advance I believe. It cost a lot to rent it but it had a ton of pieces to work with. Came in super handy. The one that O'Riley's rents doesn't have much to choose from.

This is the tool I used.

I had to use a piece of flat steel to push on one side. You dont have room to get the ball joint tool with adapters on both side on the control arm.

Like I said before it was a pain. I would think that the rear uppers wouldn't be too bad. Mine are in bad shape so I've got to replace them.

I'm getting ready to redo the rear suspension on my car soon.

You can pick up a set of new factory style rear upper control arms for $100.

What kind of new rear uppers were you looking at getting? For the front control arms I ended up using a sawz all to cut out the old bushings. Had to be careful not to cut the control arm. Then used a ball joint removal tool that I rented from a local parts house to put the new bushings in. I had a vice that I was able to clamp the control arm in. If I hadn't had that it would have been a much harder job. The ball joint tool that I rented came from Advance I believe. It cost a lot to rent it but it had a ton of pieces to work with. Came in super handy. The one that O'Riley's rents doesn't have much to choose from.

This is the tool I used.

I had to use a piece of flat steel to push on one side. You dont have room to get the ball joint tool with adapters on both side on the control arm.

Like I said before it was a pain. I would think that the rear uppers wouldn't be too bad. Mine are in bad shape so I've got to replace them.

I'm getting ready to redo the rear suspension on my car soon.

I found some pics that I took when I was rebuilding mine.

This is the ball joint tool and other bits I used to press the new bushings in.

20181203_204111.jpg

Arm in the vice

20181203_203956.jpg

Pressing the new ones in.

20181203_204328.jpg

The outer part of the control arm wanted to bend in as I pushed in the new bushing so I just used a hammer to bring it back into position.

20181203_204438.jpg

I bought the tool from Maximum Motorsports for pressing the upper control arm bushing in and out of the rear axle. That is where the flat piece of metal came from and now that I'm thinking about it again I believe that is the cup that I used. You can pick up the tool at MM for around $30.

If you get the tool all you will need is the ball joint clamp.

If I was doing it again I might just buy the new control arms. I wanted to install poly bushings though. Thats why I went to all the trouble to do it myself.

I can't begin to remember how many times I have used a rented press to replace ball joints. An yes it can be a total PIA job.

I always use hand tools. Never an impact gun. And yes it can be a real work out. Use the 1/2" sockets (not the 3/8" ones).

One thing leaned from experience is to make sure the press is in good shape. Do not accept a press that is expanded. This sometimes happens when the tool is abused. Make double sure that everything is straight and stays straight during the pressing process.

I also feel that you may get better quality parts by buying a name brand (Moog) replacement ball joint. You can bet that cheap Chinese part isn't built with top quality parts.

Regarding replacing the control arm bushings. Did that once. Took me 3 days to drill out and press out the old bushings. Never again. I will gladly pay someone with a professional press to do the job for me. What I did was a total cluster fu.......

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users