New engine, Low oil pressure

_Cheese_

Jun 29, 2009
OK guys I started up my new 5.0L today. after getting it running its seems to be showing low oil pressure on the guage in the dash.

Heres a pic of how it is reading.this is after running for about 10 seconds. Do you think the oil pressure guage could be bad?? I know the sensor wobbles on the threaded base.
oilpressure.jpg

Engine302006-1.jpg

Engine302010-1.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

stock gauge is super inaccurate, I was curius about my actual pressure when I rebuilt my motor, so I got a manual gauge.

with the gauge I experimented with psi #s with diferent oils, most 10/30s start at 60psi cold drop to 15-20 hot, best I found was straight 30w with a little lucus- 55psi hot 45psi cold. went back to stock gauge after finding what I like.

sweet looking intake, is that the stock truck manifold? would be sweet to get a tall spacer, then have the hood cut so just the upper sticks out, haha that'd be badass

Install a mechanical oil pressure gauge and see if you have 48-52psi on cold start that's with a standard oil pump and when the engine is warm you should have 23-35 psi. As a general rule there should be about 10psi of oil pressure for each 1000rpm of engine speed. But if you are using a high volume oil pump at cold start it can be 60-80psi and when the engine is warm from 40-50psi. If you install the gauge and the pressure is still low you may want check your bearing clearence. But it may be you factory gauge because i have replaced all of mine because they wasn't right.GOOD LUCK

Ill get a aftermarket guage for it I guess. Im running just 30w oil in it for initial break in.

And yes it is a truck intake that i powercoated, along with the majority of the engine parts.

Step 1: Verify the concern. Hook up a gauge and see what the actual pressure is.

If the oil pressure is low I'd question a cheap filter. A guy that used to do machine work who has been in the field for 40 years told me once about an engine that he machined for a customer. He went to take it out on a TD and lost oil pressure completely. He tore it apart and couldn't find anything wrong. He took it back to the machine shop to find that his Baldwin filter had imploded. Baldwin makes Fram filters.

Here's a pic of a Fram filter and a NAPA (wix) filter just for a visual to see how crappy these filters are.

FRAM.jpg

What was the rod side clearance? What about main and rod bearing clearance? What was the pan to pick-up clearance?

Mike, gotta love those FRAM filters....junk, junk, junk. What Powermax cam do you have for sale?