New from CO w/ hoopty sleeper project

Hoopty

Jan 29, 2019
Colorado
Hey all,

I have been working on my fox for a little bit now and have been using several user forums as resources and figured it was time to finally register for one. This one has easily been most helpful and I think it's a great community without searching the far reaches of the net for something more specific.

I purchased my foxbody this last September as a project to help me keep my hands off my (leased) Kia Stinger. I had originally intended to purchase a track project and was looking at 4th gen F-Bodies, but that proved too lofty a goal for my budget. With that in mind, and my friends in my ear I purchased an 89 LX hatch.

I never would have purchased the car knowing what I know now, but hindsight is 20/20, and here she is the day I brought her home:
IMG_0877.JPG

My first goal was to get rid of the junk front GT front end swap. I assume it was put on when the previous previous owner replaced it due to whatever damaged the radiator support. I picked up a cheap fender and LX bumper with headlights:
IMG_1149.jpg

Once I realized that there was more to this car as far as damage to the chassis I decided to pass on the track car and make a turbo street car sleeper. A buddy sold me an eBay-esque turbo kit with a turbonetics turbo/BOV/WG and some other mid-level upgrades and fuel system. I'm unsure of the brand as it's been floating around locally for a while and I don't really know the age. I picked up a megasquirt locally to tune it myself, as it was always something I've wanted to do. With the amount of bird's nest electrical work and unknown condition of the drive train I've decided to pull the engine/harness/transmission/rear end to clean everything up and get a baseline for boost:
56376361976__39E7EE78-4B14-4DEB-8001-304113BB2D35.JPG

56791550973__D79D6D94-4AC9-43D5-BD01-7EB9AB0C15E8.JPG

I've had my learning experiences up until now, and it's all been good. I really look forward to learning from the knowledgeable platform members and more specifically the megasquirt peeps here. Also...obligatory Stinger pic?

IMG_0745.jpg

Hope to interact with a lot of you and learn more!

Thanks
Hoopty

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Good luck with build, there's a separate digital tuning forum on here "a91what" is the guru.
Treat that Kia well, those lease end wear charges can really add up.

I do have a lower mileage lease, but so far I just hit a year and not even 8k on it. I have a beater f150 for awful days and hope to get the fox ready by early summer to cruise around in on the weekends.

Hey, what a minute! :O_o:

I noticed your username after I posted and had been lurking around the forums and though "uh oh...". Not intentional certainly, and I know I can't compete with any mod anyways. :D

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome !

That LX nose made all the difference. I put a GT bumper on an LX once.... the car threw itself off the car trailer and tried to kill itself....no....seriously :nonono::runaway::hide:

Welcome !

That LX nose made all the difference. I put a GT bumper on an LX once.... the car threw itself off the car trailer and tried to kill itself....no....seriously :nonono::runaway::hide:

You’re telling me. That GT front end was hideous with its fitment. Plus the LX front end will play to the sleeper story a little better
Welcome to :SN:

Another MS User here as well, so we can help you get this going.

Thanks! I need all the help I can get

Hmm stock 5.0 with a turbo, I think i may have a tune for that :O_o:..

welcome :welcome:

I’ve been following your MS help thread so much. I’ve only just gotten the car started and idling NA so a base map would be super. I’ll pop into your thread when I’m ready and when I’ve finished all the research I need to do. One thing I’ve noticed about the mega squirt community is that you better have helped yourself before asking anyone for advice haha.

You’re telling me. That GT front end was hideous with its fitment. Plus the LX front end will play to the sleeper story a little better

Thanks! I need all the help I can get

I’ve been following your MS help thread so much. I’ve only just gotten the car started and idling NA so a base map would be super. I’ll pop into your thread when I’m ready and when I’ve finished all the research I need to do. One thing I’ve noticed about the mega squirt community is that you better have helped yourself before asking anyone for advice haha.
Nah man I'll answer questions till I'm blue in the face. If you want man I do tuning classes and have full tuning services so if when you need I got you.

A91what has been a HUGE help to me and many others here. He has remote tuned my car bit by bit as I have time. You'll find out. He has tuned this...and at 18° it started and successfully warmed up....even drove around the neighborhood.

20180806_202352.jpg

The actual MS forum was very hard for me to deal with...and I didn't get much help. That's why the forum was started here. Someone over there recommended a base tune that was all types of wrong. If you have a base tune I'd advise posting it and a datalog here ( or in the tuning thread ) so the guru can take a look. A bad tune could be a bad thing....even if it's just starting the car. He's saved my car a few times.