Fuel New gas tank, bands do not reach

DemonGT

Founding Member
May 24, 2002
Sparta,WI
Just installed a new LMR gas tank kit and iv got as far as to reinstall the tank bands and there a long way from reaching?

Is there a trick to this part or did i do something wrong?

• Sponsors (?)

I remember wrestling around with those straps for a while when I had my tank out, but my tank is the the original tank. I haven’t had any experience with aftermarket tanks. Maybe they are shaped just a little different? I just made sure all my lines and connections were out of the way of getting crushed and used a floor jack to get it in place.

Reactions: 1 user
I had the same issue. I ended up getting longer bolts. Driver's side, you can't permanently install the longer bolt as it bottoms out on the body, but I used it to cinch one strap down, then used the longer bolt on the other side to get it all the way down. I then replaced the bottomed-out longer bolt with the original .

The original bolts are M10 x 1.5 x 35mm long. 35MM is max for the driver's side (maybe 40mm) but you can get a longer bolt for the pass side

Reactions: 1 user
make sure your wires and hoses and such aren't being pinched up there. I've seen it a few times when it wouldn't go on, because there was something in between the hump and the body.

It's also just a pita :)