New gears, but can't set speedo

tradde

Aug 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
Hello all. This is my first post here. But I have been reading this board for some time. Lots of useful info here. I finally upgraded my gears from stock 3.08s to
4.10s on my 2000 GT vert. The guy who did the swap attempted to set my new
rear ratio using my Hypertech Power Programmer III. I drove off and the speedo
was way off. I assumed he had not set it right. He admitted he could have done
something wrong. I tried it when I got home and know I stored in 4.10s and
it even displayed my changes and showed 4.10s. But the speedo is still off
by quite a bit. Nothing else was changed. Any ideas. Maybe the tires that
are on it are not stock height? They were on the car when I bought it used.
Brand new in fact. I could live with a few mph off. But this is waaaayyyy off.
Thanks for any hints.

• Sponsors (?)

Can't set my speedo

Skidzz said:
Well from what I understand, the hypertech programmer is teh suck. That may be your problem. I suggest just buying a speedcal for $100. I also suggest getting rid of the hypertech and getting a preditor.

Ok, first what is this speedcal thing? I have seen it mentioned before in other
posts. If I do indeed get the Preditor will I still need the speedcal? Do you think
the shop that did the gear would have that? He mentioned something for about
that price when he asked me if I had some type of programmer. Thanks.

tradde said:
Ok, first what is this speedcal thing? I have seen it mentioned before in other
posts. If I do indeed get the Preditor will I still need the speedcal? Do you think
the shop that did the gear would have that? He mentioned something for about
that price when he asked me if I had some type of programmer. Thanks.

Ok, I ordered the Predator. I wish I had known this before I bought the Hypertech.
Oh well. live and learn.
Tim R

I think the problem might be is when you said that you swapped the 3.08s. I thought the 99+ GTs had 3.27s :shrug: The speedometer is sensitive from what size gears you swapped to the new ones, seeing the Dallas mustang calibrator install.

Green&GoldGT said:
I think the problem might be is when you said that you swapped the 3.08s. I thought the 99+ GTs had 3.27s :shrug: The speedometer is sensitive from what size gears you swapped to the new ones, seeing the Dallas mustang calibrator install.

I am pretty sure they were 3.08s. I thought only Cobra's came with 3.27s?

The Predator should be here in a few days to fix the problem. It's so hot here
it's not even fun driving a vert with the top down. :(

V_Eight said:
Does someone make something mechanical I can swap out with the gauge cluster to make it read properly with my 3.73's?

No. As far as I know, the last mechanical piece in the system is the rpm sensor , which if I'm not mistaken is when the Dallas Mustang Speedcal hooks up. It's in the vicinity of the shifter. Everything from there up is all electronic. I had a DM Speedcal for a few weeks but it was defective. I exchanged it for the Predator, which I then realized I should have gooten in the first place. It would have saved me money on my MIL's as well.

tradde said:
I am pretty sure they were 3.08s. I thought only Cobra's came with 3.27s?

The Predator should be here in a few days to fix the problem. It's so hot here
it's not even fun driving a vert with the top down. :(

The stock gears were 3.27, and if the shop that did the gear change still has your old ones you can count the teeth on the ring & pinion to confirm that. On the Predator you will simply select your current gear ratio, and the former stock ratio will make no difference. I am surprised that the HyperTech tuner didn't adjust the speedo properly though.

Give Me TP said:
The stock gears were 3.27, and if the shop that did the gear change still has your old ones you can count the teeth on the ring & pinion to confirm that. On the Predator you wll simply select your current gear ratio, and the former stock ratio will make no difference. I am surprised that the HyperTech tuner didn't adjust the speedo properly though.

I too was surprised at that. I just figured he did something wrong. We were outside in the sun so he could have read something wrong and not programmed
the gear change. He also mentioned he was not familiar with the Hypertech.
So I did it myself, and saw that it had indeed been set to 4.10s during the final
display. But for some reason it did not fix the problem. I don't see that it matters
what my old gears were like you said. With my luck the same problem will happen
with the Predator and I will discover it's some other goofy problem. :)

The Predator was very easy to change ratios with. I'm suprised the Hypertech didn't work. Maybe the mech is not up on the programmers. Call Hypertech and maybe they can help. Remember to install the stock settings with the Hypertech before you plug in the Predator. Had a buddy who didn't and was stuck a few hours trying to figure it out. Good luck

forpit2000gt said:
the programmer has to know whtat the stock ratio is and then the new. You had 3.27s , not 3.08s.

The Hypertech Programmer only asks the gear ratio being changed to. It does
not ask about what the old ratio was. That should have been whatever the
programmer was set up for stock. But weren't some Mustangs 3.08s? This
programmer covers many years of Mustangs. It cover 1999 and up 4.6L Mustangs
and Cobras. Is 3.27 stock in all of those? If so wouldn't the progammer be set
for that as stock?

How does the Predator change the ratio? Does it ask both?

No. The stock ratio according to your ECU will appear when you go to modify it, but does not have to be entered in any way. BTW the Predator will show 4.09 as a selection rather than 4.10, don't know why.

3.27s are stock in all '99+ Mustangs except '03-'04 Mach 1s and (I presume) Cobras which have 3.55s

forpit2000gt said:
I haven't used a hypertech, I received bad info from a friend, sorry. I used a speedcal for mine and no problems. All 99+ are 3.27 except 03 SC had 3.55.

I see that now that stock is 3.27. For some reason I thought I had read stock
was 3.08. So I swapped from 3.27s to 4.10s. The Hypertech does not display
the current ratio. It only asked you to select from a scrollable list the ratio
changing to. I can't wait for the Predator to arrive. I am hoping today, but would guess Monday.